York-Humber Bridge flat(-tish) imperial century, FINAL DATE CHANGE 11th September, 2021!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
Assuming that we switch to the Grimston Bar start, there would be a short stretch via the southern university campus to rejoin the 2019 route at the race course

Here's a "cycle-friendly" route which avoids busier roads from Grimston Bar to the Racecourse. It uses mainly existing on & off road cycle paths around the campus, through Heslington, through the "other" part of the campus, across Walmgate Stray, and crossing the Ouse at Millenium Bridge.

Here's a link to the GPX file.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's a "cycle-friendly" route which avoids busier roads from Grimston Bar to the Racecourse. It uses mainly existing on & off road cycle paths around the campus, through Heslington, through the "other" part of the campus, across Walmgate Stray, and crossing the Ouse at Millenium Bridge.

Here's a link to the GPX file.

View attachment 598872
Bits of that are the same as suggested by Cycle Travel but that started off crossing the Hull Rd and then coming back to the university so your version looks better. Different route through the campus, then the same finish. I'll splice your version in!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry July 31 no good for me. :sad:
Sorry to hear that. Let's hope that next year is more normal so more rides can be planned and more notice given!

I tried polling would-be riders for choice of date before one forum ride and it was a bad move. I ended up with a range of dates and had to choose one which only about a quarter of the riders were happy with. It felt like I was saying that some people's choices were more important than others!

Advanced notice: Brian and I would like to do the Venetian Marina ride in Cheshire again. There is a good chance that it will be on a Saturday in the first half of September so anybody who fancies that one should try to keep the first 2 or 3 Saturdays free for now. We will settle on a date at least a month in advance.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Would love to do this ride again, however I struggle to ride more than 20 miles at the moment due to a health issue. I could probably manage further on a flat ride, but no idea how far.
Enjoy your ride chaps & chappesses. 👍

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Would love to do this ride again, however I struggle to ride more than 20 miles at the moment due to a health issue. I could probably manage further on a flat ride, but no idea how far.
Enjoy your ride chaps & chappesses. 👍
I am sorry that you haven't been able to sort those problems out. I suppose the difficulties in seeing doctors over the past 18 Covid-19 months won't have helped!

Hopefully, the NHS won't get swamped in coming months after restrictions get lifted next week and somebody comes up with a solution.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I am sorry that you haven't been able to sort those problems out. I suppose the difficulties in seeing doctors over the past 18 Covid-19 months won't have helped!

Hopefully, the NHS won't get swamped in coming months after restrictions get lifted next week and somebody comes up with a solution.
Thanks for the kind words Colin. I’ve been trying to get fixed via BUPA. Since April I’ve managed one telephone consultation and an MRI scan. Follow up consultation booked for end of this month. Here’s hoping for some progress 🤞

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

First things first... Let's see if any of the remaining Garforth riders who haven't yet declared can make it... @colly, @Soltydog, @Slioch (on lighter bike/less luggage? :okay:), @si_c (probably too much of a trek for you - bad enough from here!)??? (I'll ask Carrie and Kevin but I think they are likely to be booked up.)

I've been checking the train timetables and maps... I think it is doable by me on Northern trains***, but I would have to set off before 07:00 and it would be a very long day so I'd prefer to keep the main stop to an hour, and any other stops fairly brief. We won't have to rush around like mad things but I'd love to catch the 19:23 home from York. Failing that, the 20:23. The 21:23 would mean me potentially getting home at 23:00 or maybe later so that would be a last resort! The Knaresborough trains back are 19:11, 20:11, and 21:11. That means (ideally) getting back to the station by 19:00, 20:00, or 21:00.

I reckon that we ought to be able to do the ride in about the time that the Garforth ride took. That would make the 19:00 target a bit tight, but 20:00 should be ok?

I've had a rethink about the start/finish... How about drivers park at Grimston Bar and take @Slioch's short cycle path route to Millennium Bridge; those coming in by rail meet at the station and then ride along the path by the Ouse; the two groups meet up at the Bridge? At the end of the ride we all go into the car park. The rail travellers say goodbye to the drivers, then take the cycle paths back to the station?

*** @Soltydog - do you have any of the Northern rail vouchers left that you kindly offered us a while back, and if so, would they still valid on July 31st? :whistle:

Slioch

Guru
Sorry, but I'll be unable to make it. I'll be too busy drinking my bodyweight in champagne at Goodwood that week :cheers:

Millennium Bridge though is a good place to meet up. There's seating on the bridge itself, and people coming from the station can get there relatively traffic-free along the quieter riverside cycle paths, so long as they can avoid the numpties with dog's that York seems to be infested with.

si_c

Guru
Thanks for the thought @ColinJ, I'm unsure of my calendar for that weekend however a York start for 9am-ish is a little on the early side, and I had a faff with trains getting back on Saturday with TPT, so for the moment I'm all train-ed out.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks for the thought @ColinJ, I'm unsure of my calendar for that weekend however a York start for 9am-ish is a little on the early side, and I had a faff with trains getting back on Saturday with TPT, so for the moment I'm all train-ed out.
The proposed Venetian Marina ride in Cheshire in September would be better for you. Brian and would be riding out from Walkden station but the main loop is from Dunham Town, near Altrincham. Start there around 09:30. IIRC, you couldn't make the 2019 version because of an injury?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
*** @Soltydog - do you have any of the Northern rail vouchers left that you kindly offered us a while back, and if so, would they still valid on July 31st? :whistle:
They expire on 25th :sad: We are due some more after that, but no details as to when/how to obatin them as they are going to be online next time.

Not sure if I'll make the ride yet. I'm at work early Sunday, so the late finish isnt ideal & dont fancy the train ride back from York on late evening trains :sad: I may come & peel off as you return to York, but I'll let you know nearer the time :okay:

battered

Guru
If I can get the car and I drove down from Darlington I could pick up someone (maybe two if my frame fits the boot) but Leeds station looks hideous to get near, anywhere less busy to pick you up, south of the river and with free parking to allow loading of bikes.
Leeds station is OK once you know the parking, otherwise it's hard work. An easier pickup in Leeds is New Pudsey station, near me. Free P&R, loads of free parking. Car park the size of a football stadium. Wrong side of town from the NE though.

Top Bottom