York-Humber Bridge flat(-tish) imperial century, FINAL DATE CHANGE 11th September, 2021!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin,
Think I will have to leave this one this time as at the moment we only have one car and my wife has been working weekends as a clinical assessor at a large vaccination centre which is 9 miles from home.
Cheers
Alan
That's a shame, Alan - maybe next time?

Would love to but meet up with some old friends in Cumbria had already been arranged.
Maybe you famous Glasson Dock ride.
I may well do the Glasson Dock ride again later this year if I can fit it in. Before that though, there is other business...

I have a note in my diary to contact @Sea of vapours tomorrow about a ride that we hope to organise in the Forest of Bowland. We had planned the route for 2020 but Covid-19 put a stop to it then.

If the FoB ride goes ahead it would probably be on August 14th or 21st. It is a hilly route and I definitely would NOT be doing that one on singlespeed - I would be using all 30 gears on my best bike!

I also plan to do the Cheshire ride again, probably in September - 100 miles from Walkden or 120 km from Dunham Town. That is another flattish route suitable for my singlespeed bike.

videoman

Guru
Hi Colin,
I will keep looking on the forum to see if there are any future rides I can do.

Julia9054

Guru
Hi @ColinJ
Really sorry, I know that Al and I were just about the only confirmed definites for this ride but we are going to have to cry off. Al’s elderly father is very ill, Al’s brother has gone on holiday so we need to be on hand to care for his dad. For some dumb reason they won’t admit him to hospital despite the state he is in.
Really sorry, I was looking forward to this ride too. I can’t see us being able to get out for a whole day unless things improve.

Is the ride down to just three now? I'm guess you might want to postpone or cancel? I've no tickets or anything booked yet, and not even travelling up to see family in Darlington until Thursday and happy to cancel that 😉

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi @ColinJ
Really sorry, I know that Al and I were just about the only confirmed definites for this ride but we are going to have to cry off. Al’s elderly father is very ill, Al’s brother has gone on holiday so we need to be on hand to care for his dad. For some dumb reason they won’t admit him to hospital despite the state he is in.
Oh dear, I hope Al's dad will be ok!

Is the ride down to just three now? I'm guess you might want to postpone or cancel? I've no tickets or anything booked yet, and not even travelling up to see family in Darlington until Thursday and happy to cancel that 😉
I haven't bought my rail tickets yet so I could postpone... @Buck said that he could make the 7th August and maybe @Domus and a few others might also be able to? My pal Carrie was planning to drive to York in her campervan for a long weekend, but if she is free on the 7th, that might be ok for her. She probably has to sort dog-sitting out. I'll ring her shortly to see how she would feel about a 1 week delay. I just tried Carrie but she is on the phone to someone else. I'll try again later.

Hi @ColinJ
Really sorry, I was looking forward to this ride too. I can’t see us being able to get out for a whole day unless things improve.
Obviously, things might not be any better a week later but would Al's brother be back by then and able to give you both a day off your caring duties?

PS I just remembered that you had already said that Al couldn't make the 7th! Who could make the 14th? It would be good to get at least 5 or 6 people to turn out so I'm happy to be flexible with the date. I can't make the 21st because that is the Forest of Bowland ride.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
I can do the 7th but Al has to go to a wedding that day. We can both do the 14th.
Arrange the date around others rather than us though, the way things are at the moment, anything could have happened by then.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Another reason why a delay might be a good idea... Both the BBC and the Met Office are forecasting a 15 km/hr headwind (or cross-headwind) for the return leg on July 31st. At the speed that we would be riding that equates to roughly doubling the required effort! :eek: Alternatively, we would be riding about 8 km/hr slower for the same effort, which would make it a slog to get back into York at a reasonable time.

How about delaying the ride by 1 week to 7th August? Then there would be me, Carrie and Neil. Julia and @Buck might join us, and it would potentially open up the ride to others who couldn't make the 31st. And we might avoid that return headwind! :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

In case you haven't spotted the change of date... @Buck, @colly, @Slioch, @Soltydog, @videoman (if that weekend is any better for you, though it sounds like it won't be?) - can any of you make the 7th August instead?

It would be great if a few more riders would sign up for this ride. Yes, it is a long day in the saddle, but the terrain is very forgiving and you get to do a spectacular bridge crossing twice!

Post below if you intend to join The Bridge Crew... :welcome:

colly

Re member eR
In case you haven't spotted the change of date... @Buck, @colly, @Slioch, @Soltydog, @videoman (if that weekend is any better for you, though it sounds like it won't be?) - can any of you make the 7th August instead?

It would be great if a few more riders would sign up for this ride. Yes, it is a long day in the saddle, but the terrain is very forgiving and you get to do a spectacular bridge crossing twice!

Post below if you intend to join The Bridge Crew... :welcome:
I had just this second seen the change of date but I'll not be back until the Saturday evening on the 7th. FoB on the 21st looks like a goer at this stage at least.:okay::okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I had just this second seen the change of date but I'll not be back until the Saturday evening on the 7th.
Ooh, near miss... That's a pity!

FoB on the 21st looks like a goer at this stage at least.:okay::okay:
I hope you do make that one. It's looking good. There are a couple of sections that I haven't ridden before.

Are you going to update the 70 birthday presents thread? We are all curious to see what came next! :laugh:

Top Bottom