York-Humber Bridge flat(-tish) imperial century, FINAL DATE CHANGE 11th September, 2021!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Great (for those who can make it) - we look like having enough riders! :smile:

For those who can't make this ride, watch out for others before we get to the depressing end of autumn. I might organise a hilly local 100 km ride; if any of you fancy a day out in this lumpy area, let me know.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm on an early shift :sad:, but won't know my hours until a few days before. There's a chance I could meet enroute somewhere depending on my hours, I'll let you know nearer the time 👍

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm on an early shift :sad:, but won't know my hours until a few days before. There's a chance I could meet enroute somewhere depending on my hours, I'll let you know nearer the time 👍
Fingers crossed!

I just texted Carrie to see if she might be free on the 11th. I think that she plans to be on holiday in Europe but who knows about the Covid-19 situation weeks in advance?

Well, we hope to tackle a short stretch of the Trans Pennine Trail along the north bank of the Humber, so... it might be a sensible precaution! :whistle:
Hovercraft might be handy as some bits had serious mud last time I did it - to be fair it was a while ago.
<Goes off and looks that up> EEK it was 15 years ago!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hovercraft might be handy as some bits had serious mud last time I did it - to be fair it was a while ago.
<Goes off and looks that up> EEK it was 15 years ago!
We did it last time after a dry spell and it was ok, but if it is likely to be dodgy this time we can forget it and use the part of the route that we will be returning by (in reverse, obviously).

We did it last time after a dry spell and it was ok, but if it is likely to be dodgy this time we can forget it and use the part of the route that we will be returning by (in reverse, obviously).
So it hasn't been improved in 15 years :wacko:
Mind you the hub deep section at the liverpool end (of TPT) still doesn't drain but it is now has tarmacced craters 😄

It was kind of powdery/gravelly from what I recall. Fine when dry, but might get messy after a lot of rain?

We did the TPT over 4 days and sadly it rained for 3 days, but even sadder was it was actually 3x24hr periods and as this period started at lunchtime on our first day it therefore didn't stop until lunchtime on our last day! So to be fair that path at the end may have had 72hrs of rain.
This ride is when I realised 'soaked to the skin' wasn't just a phrase but actually a thing, and despite wearing goretex I got wet as I generate more 'vapour' than can goretex can clear xx(

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yikes - what a nightmare!

I certainly won't feel like doing the ride on the 11th if it were going to be 10+ hours of squelching... :thumbsdown:

There is nothing to stop us avoiding the TPT if we think its surface is probably going to be waterlogged.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

*** (A good excuse to bump the thread up the list! :okay:) ***

I just got an email from Northern (trains) accepting my claim for compensation after they cancelled my train home from my last forum ride... :smile:

I will be getting a free return ticket which I will use to and from York providing that it arrives in time. If it is late getting to me, then I will just have to squeeze another remote forum ride in while we still have decent weather and enough hours of daylight.

Top Bottom