York-Humber Bridge flat(-tish) imperial century, FINAL DATE CHANGE 11th September, 2021!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm working until 3pm, so looks like I'll miss you guys. You should be on your way back to York before I'm done :sad:
🤞for next year
Shame, but yes - see you next time!

The forecast for Saturday is currently looking pretty good - sunny spells, dry, warm but not too hot. A cross/tailwind to help us on the way out but a nagging cross/headwind on the return leg making that slower and harder than it would otherwise have been. I'm definitely bringing lights in case we are still out around sunset.

No sign of my rail voucher yet but NR did say that it could take up to 10 working days for it to arrive, and this Friday will only be 6 or 7. I'm not sure why it takes that long. I would have thought that as soon as it was authorised it would have been put in the post and would only take a couple of days to get here.

So it looks like 5 riders then... Me, @Julia9054 & Al, @colly, and @neil_merseyside?

Other riders welcome though. We might not have too many more opportunities for long, flat, sunny rides this year, especially not with twice over a whacking great big suspension bridge, so don't be shy - sign up below!

Julia9054

Guru
Looking forward to it, @ColinJ

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just spoken to my friend Richard who would like to join us if that’s ok
Great - 6 is a better number of riders than 5!

Anybody who is happy to do the distance at an average speed of around 19 kph/12 mph and whose bike is also up to the task is welcome. :okay:

My bike is much quieter than it was on the Garforth ride, except for the front brake being very loud when braking hard. It is now excellent at getting Kamikaze pedestrians to leap back off the road! :laugh: (I think that I bought from a slightly iffy batch of brake blocks because the same problem has developed on a second bike after changing the blocks on that.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My train ticket is booked, should arrive York at 8:28
I am still waiting for my rail voucher but if it doesn't arrive by Friday afternoon I'll pay for my ticket and use the voucher another time.

My train to Leeds should arrive at 08:00 so I'm hoping to catch the 08:18 from Leeds, arriving in York at 08:49.

If the train from Tod to Leeds is delayed but by no more than 20 minutes or so, then I should be able to catch the 08:30 to York, arriving at 09:00, so I would be a few minutes late at the front of the station.

I will post quick updates below on Saturday morning reporting my travel progress/any problems.

colly

Re member eR
Looks like I'm not going to make it on Saturday.:sad::sad:

My back has decided to play up. (I've been here before unfortunately) I have an appointment with the chiropractor to ease things off but not until Monday. There is an outside chance that things will improve with me being careful and some gentle stretching etc but even then it's unlikely I will risk it. I really don't want to get 50 miles from home I have my back go into a spasm. I would be well and truely f***ed.

Sorry to cry off at the last minute. It's a good ride and I'm sure you will all enjoy it.

Until the next time then.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Looks like I'm not going to make it on Saturday.:sad::sad:

My back has decided to play up. (I've been here before unfortunately) I have an appointment with the chiropractor to ease things off but not until Monday. There is an outside chance that things will improve with me being careful and some gentle stretching etc but even then it's unlikely I will risk it. I really don't want to get 50 miles from home I have my back go into a spasm. I would be well and truely f***ed.

Sorry to cry off at the last minute. It's a good ride and I'm sure you will all enjoy it.

Until the next time then.
Aargh - As a fellow sufferer I know exactly what that feels like - not good! :sad:

On the way out there are actually some bailout options - train back to York from Selby, and beyond that, train to Selby from Howden, Gilberdyke and Brough. Beyond that train from Hessle or (North) Ferriby to Brough.

If your back seized up at the cafe stop you'd maybe need a taxi to even get you to Hessle station...

On the return leg, once you are some distance from Hessle there are no rail options so you'd need a long expensive taxi trip to York!

I don't think that I would take the chance...
I know it is still a few weeks away but it looks like I won't see you again until after your big date, so... HAPPY 70TH BIRTHDAY! :birthday:

colly

Re member eR
Aargh - As a fellow sufferer I know exactly what that feels like - not good! :sad:

On the way out there are actually some bailout options - train back to York from Selby, and beyond that, train to Selby from Howden, Gilberdyke and Brough. Beyond that train from Hessle or (North) Ferriby to Brough.

If your back seized up at the cafe stop you'd maybe need a taxi to even get you to Hessle station...

On the return leg, once you are some distance from Hessle there are no rail options so you'd need a long expensive taxi trip to York!

I don't think that I would take the chance...
I know it is still a few weeks away but it looks like I won't see you again until after your big date, so... HAPPY 70TH BIRTHDAY! :birthday:
Thanks Colin I will enjoy the party on the Saturday before. (especially the bouncy castle) and I need my back to be in good fettle for that.
Now you have reminded me I'll post some more pics from the 69 presents^_^

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My voucher DID arrive today, but it is for a single journey NOT a return. It would only save me 20p tomorrow because I would still have to buy another single to get home so I will save it for a future one-way journey***. I've just bought return tickets for tomorrow and will nip down to the station to get them in an hour or two so I don't have to do it in the morning.

Let's have a think about the TPT along the river to the bridge. I don't think they've had too much rain there over the past couple of days so it should be ok, but if you'd all rather stick to the roads and roadside paths to the bridge then I'd be fine with that.

Make sure that you have plenty of pressure in your tyres! The cycle path out of York was broken up by big tree roots the last couple of times that I rode along it and it would be easy to get a snakebite puncture on one of those bumps.

The forecast seems to have settled. Blustery cross-tailwind out, blustery cross-headwind back. I think the return leg will be slow and hard work, so getting back before sunset could be tight. BRING LIGHTS! :okay:

See you in the morning. I will post a message below when I am on the train from Tod and another as I leave Leeds. Or updates if there are problems.

*** PS @colly... I have something in mind, which may appeal to you. I will use my ticket to go to Dent, via Leeds, then ride back to Todmorden via Settle. If you fancied joining me, you could catch the train from Leeds, and at the end of the day catch a second train back from Todmorden?

I am thinking of next spring, after the clocks go forward and to pick a long, sunny day.

colly

Re member eR
My voucher DID arrive today, but it is for a single journey NOT a return. It would only save me 20p tomorrow because I would still have to buy another single to get home so I will save it for a future one-way journey***. I've just bought return tickets for tomorrow and will nip down to the station to get them in an hour or two so I don't have to do it in the morning.

Let's have a think about the TPT along the river to the bridge. I don't think they've had too much rain there over the past couple of days so it should be ok, but if you'd all rather stick to the roads and roadside paths to the bridge then I'd be fine with that.

Make sure that you have plenty of pressure in your tyres! The cycle path out of York was broken up by big tree roots the last couple of times that I rode along it and it would be easy to get a snakebite puncture on one of those bumps.

The forecast seems to have settled. Blustery cross-tailwind out, blustery cross-headwind back. I think the return leg will be slow and hard work, so getting back before sunset could be tight. BRING LIGHTS! :okay:

See you in the morning. I will post a message below when I am on the train from Tod and another as I leave Leeds. Or updates if there are problems.

*** PS @colly... I have something in mind, which may appeal to you. I will use my ticket to go to Dent, via Leeds, then ride back to Todmorden via Settle. If you fancied joining me, you could catch the train from Leeds, and at the end of the day catch a second train back from Todmorden?

I am thinking of next spring, after the clocks go forward and to pick a long, sunny day.
Sounds like a plan. :okay:
Let me know the mileages and ill consider riding back home rather than the train.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds like a plan. :okay:
Let me know the mileages and ill consider riding back home rather than the train.
104 km/65 miles, Dent to Tod.

It wouldn't really be a fun ride back from Tod to NE Leeds though unless you took a very long and strenuous detour!

Gargrave would be at 60 km/37miles, after the 2 biggest hills of the day. You could opt to head east on the Leeds-Liverpool canal towpath or scenic roads from there?

Top Bottom