York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just to add my thanks to all for a top ride. Not least to @Soltydog for leading us home from Market Weighton. It was a bit like a Ferrari towing a caravan at times coming back through Kiplingcoates valley into that headwind - thanks for taking pity on my lack of gears and letting me take advantage of your 6'5" frame for drafting purposes. :smile:

Great to also meet @Oldfentiger @Moodyman @13 rider and always a pleasure to ride with @Pale Rider @ColinJ and @Supersuperleeds It was a cracking day all round, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good I felt by the end, never having done an anywhere near a ton on a single speed before. I'll definitely be coming on the road bike next year if that climb up to Swanland remains a feature, mind!

the reason we didn't use the cyclepath to the bridge this time was that someone had told me that it might not be suitable for road bikes. If someone feels like checking that path out nearer the time, an informed decision could be made.

East of the bridge you can only really do it on an MTB. The bit we're interested in, however, is manageable on a road bike so long as you take it slowly in parts (I've done it on 25mm slicks) - this gives you an idea of what to expect -

2304840_98b44bc5.jpg

@Pale Rider might struggle with those barriers if the gates are locked, and I think the surface does get a bit chunkier than in the picture where they've resurfaced it in recent years, but like @Soltydog I'd be happy to nip down closer to the time to see how it's looking in the weeks preceding the next ride. As mentioned up thread, it does mean going under the bridge and then a steep climb back up, though not as steep as the hill after the cement works.

Cheers, see some of you for the Leeds-Scarborough ride in September hopefully, if not before.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just to add my thanks to all for a top ride. Not least to @Soltydog for leading us home from Market Weighton. It was a bit like a Ferrari towing a caravan at times coming back through Kiplingcoates valley into that headwind - thanks for taking pity on my lack of gears and letting me take advantage of your 6'5" frame for drafting purposes. :smile:

Never been compared to a Ferrari before, but I'll take that ^_^ Cheers for the company back & route direction, a better route than I would have taken myself :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Great to also meet @Oldfentiger @Moodyman @13 rider and always a pleasure to ride with @Pale Rider @ColinJ and @Supersuperleeds It was a cracking day all round, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good I felt by the end, never having done an anywhere near a ton on a single speed before. I'll definitely be coming on the road bike next year if that climb up to Swanland remains a feature, mind!

East of the bridge you can only really do it on an MTB. The bit we're interested in, however, is manageable on a road bike so long as you take it slowly in parts (I've done it on 25mm slicks) - this gives you an idea of what to expect -

View attachment 413770

@Pale Rider might struggle with those barriers if the gates are locked, and I think the surface does get a bit chunkier than in the picture where they've resurfaced it in recent years, but like @Soltydog I'd be happy to nip down closer to the time to see how it's looking in the weeks preceding the next ride. As mentioned up thread, it does mean going under the bridge and then a steep climb back up, though not as steep as the hill after the cement works.

Cheers, see some of you for the Leeds-Scarborough ride in September hopefully, if not before.

An A-frame or two is no problem, although the simplest route seems to be straight along Ferriby High Road.

Top Bottom