York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks everyone - that was a really good day out on the bike!

It was nice to cycle with @Oldfentiger, @Pale Rider, @Moodyman and @EasyPeez again, and to meet @Soltydog, @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds. It was a good-sized group - plenty of people to chat to but not so many that one couldn't get round them all, or for riders to get forgotten about when delayed at junctions etc.

The weather forecast was accurate, which was fortunate because I had trusted it and travelled without extra clothing except for the lightweight gilet which I wear on all rides and only take off when riding hard at temperatures above about 20 degrees. It was chilly and overcast for the first couple of hours but conditions continued to improve through the day. We rode back in lovely warm sunshine. No rain all day. We had light winds which sometimes helped, sometimes hindered, but were never a big issue.

I don't think that there were any punctures or other mechanical problems all day.

@Pale Rider has summed the ride up pretty well, above.

The issue of 'ride ownership' occurs to me ... I didn't start the annual rides to the Humber Bridge - I believe that was @middleagecyclist? @busdennis took over from him. I took over last year when busdennis bowed out and did it again this year when he told me that he wouldn't be doing it. I would be happy to organise the ride next year too, given that busdennis said that he is a rare visitor to CycleChat these days, but I wouldn't like anybody to feel that I was 'muscling in' on this ride! I know that I would NOT be happy if someone did that to me with one of my annual rides ... :laugh:

Somehow, I had overlooked the fact that there are 2 Co-ops in Howden. (Surprising in such a small town!) Having said that - I had posted a map showing the Co-op that we used. My advice is for all riders to reread THE ENTIRE THREAD immediately before the ride!

The stiff little climb to Swanland had a 300 metre section at an average gradient of 9.7% which caught a few people out. myself included! It was towards the limit of what I can handle on my singlespeed bike. Maybe we can go the NCN route from North Ferriby to the bridge next year, but the reason we didn't use the cyclepath to the bridge this time was that someone had told me that it might not be suitable for road bikes. If someone feels like checking that path out nearer the time, an informed decision could be made. We'd need to know what the surface is likely to be like in both wet and dry conditions.

We got served pretty quickly at the cafe stop this time. We had a fairly leisurely break there, chatting in the sunshine.

There had been some discussion about the decision to use the cycle paths in and out of York. Having now ridden them I think it was a good choice. The surfaces were fine apart from some lumps dues to tree routes under the tarmac. Not having to think about traffic while warming up on the way out of the city, or bother with it when tired on the way back in was good. A few minutes of concentration after the path back were needed to get us to the station.

The use of the paths and some other changes to the original route meant that we encountered less traffic but we still had to do a few short stretches of busy road. I think it would be difficult to eliminate them too, but we can look again next year.

Oldfentiger and I had parked at Moor Lane car park 3.5 km (a smidge over 2 miles) from the station SW along the A1036. It is ideal if you are driving to York from this side of the city. It only costs £4 for 24 hours and for the second year in succession there was only one other car there when we arrived and no others when we left so you are unlikely to have to search for a place! There is a huge Tesco superstore opposite which is ideally located for pre/post ride snacks and toilet visits.

I ordered my post-ride pizza on the drive back and it was waiting for me when OFT dropped me off. I stayed awake long to eat it this time, and to catch up with the cycling from France, then I went to bed to enjoy a nice long sleep for a change.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

It was nice to cycle with @Oldfentiger, @Pale Rider, @Moodyman and @EasyPeez again, and to meet @Soltydog, @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds. It was a good-sized group - plenty of people to chat to but not so many that one couldn't get round them all, or for riders to get forgotten about when delayed at junctions etc.

The weather forecast was accurate, which was fortunate because I had trusted it and travelled without extra clothing except for the lightweight gilet which I wear on all rides and only take off when riding hard at temperatures above about 20 degrees. It was chilly and overcast for the first couple of hours but conditions continued to improve through the day. We rode back in lovely warm sunshine. No rain all day. We had light winds which sometimes helped, sometimes hindered, but were never a big issue.

I don't think that there were any punctures or other mechanical problems all day.

The issue of 'ride ownership' occurs to me ... I didn't start the annual rides to the Humber Bridge - I believe that was @middleagedcyclist? @busdennis took over from him. I took over last year when busdennis bowed out and did it again this year when he told me that he wouldn't be doing it. I would be happy to organise the ride next year too, given that busdennis said that he is a rare visitor to CycleChat these days, but I wouldn't like anybody to feel that I was 'muscling in' on this ride! I know that I would NOT be happy if someone did that to me with one of my annual rides ... :laugh:

Somehow, I had overlooked the fact that there are 2 Co-ops in Howden. (Surprising in such a small town!) Having said that - I had posted a map showing the Co-op that we used. My advice is for all riders to reread THE ENTIRE THREAD immediately before the ride!

The stiff little climb to Swanland had a 300 metre section at an average gradient of 9.7% which caught a few people out. myself included! It was towards the limit of what I can handle on my singlespeed bike. Maybe we can go the NCN route from North Ferriby to the bridge next year, but the reason we didn't use the cyclepath to the bridge this time was that someone had told me that it might not be suitable for road bikes. If someone feels like checking that path out nearer the time, an informed decision could be made. We'd need to know what the surface is likely to be like in both wet and dry conditions.

We got served pretty quickly at the cafe stop this time. We had a fairly leisurely break there, chatting in the sunshine.

There had been some discussion about the decision to use the cycle paths in and out of York. Having now ridden them I think it was a good choice. The surfaces were fine apart from some lumps dues to tree routes under the tarmac. Not having to think about traffic while warming up on the way out of the city, or bother with it when tired on the way back in was good. A few minutes of concentration after the path back were needed to get us to the station.

The use of the paths and some other changes to the original route meant that we encountered less traffic but we still had to do a few short stretches of busy road. I think it would be difficult to eliminate them too, but we can look again next year.

Oldfentiger and I had parked at Moor Lane car park 3.5 km (a smidge over 2 miles) from the station SW along the A1036. It is ideal if you are driving to York from this side of the city. It only costs £4 for 24 hours and for the second year in succession there was only one other car there when we arrived and no others when we left so you are unlikely to have to search for a place! There is a huge Tesco superstore opposite which is ideally located for pre/post ride snacks and toilet visits.

I ordered my post-ride pizza on the drive back and it was waiting for me when OFT dropped me off. I stayed awake long to eat it this time, and to catch up with the cycling from France, then I went to bed to enjoy a nice long sleep for a change.

We used the cycle path this morning to the bridge. It was narrow in places, especially along the A63 but fine for any bike, and much flatter.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The issue of 'ride ownership' occurs to me ... I didn't start the annual rides to the Humber Bridge - I believe that was @middleagedcyclist? @busdennis took over from him. I took over last year when busdennis bowed out and did it again this year when he told me that he wouldn't be doing it. I would be happy to organise the ride next year too, given that busdennis said that he is a rare visitor to CycleChat these days, but I wouldn't like anybody to feel that I was 'muscling in' on this ride! I know that I would NOT be happy if someone did that to me with one of my annual rides ... :laugh:

Spot on, Colin.

As regards ride ownership, @busdennis can speak for himself but I would be very surprised if he thinks there's any toe treading going on.

We used the cycle path this morning to the bridge. It was narrow in places, especially along the A63 but fine for any bike, and much flatter.

Sounds encouraging.

Routing in this manor is not assisted by several roads and a path all being labelled NCN 65.

On the way in yesterday, we turned left/north at North Ferriby towards Swanland.

Straight on there along Ferriby High Road would take us to the bridge.

I've ridden that road, it is a proper, metalled, two lane road.

One snag with the path beside the estuary is getting back up to the bridge - you have to go under the bridge, then back round and up.

Part of it at least is a metalled road, you can see it from the bridge, there's a pub and rowing club down there.

http://cycle.travel/map/journey/61656

Soltydog

Legendary Member
One snag with the path beside the estuary is getting back up to the bridge - you have to go under the bridge, then back round and up.

It was resurfaced 2-3 years ago & was quite rough at the time, it may have settled down a bit now, but it's near enough for me to check it out in wet & dry conditions & report back in time for next year. I'll be trying it on 23s if dry & 25s if wet, so that should be a good enough test for most. I don't tend to ride round that area much as it's a pain going through Hull, but I'll try & suss out a suitable 'flat' route for next time if the estuary cycle path isn't deemed suitable :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

On the way in yesterday, we turned left/north at North Ferriby towards Swanland.

Straight on there along Ferriby High Road would take us to the bridge.

I've ridden that road, it is a proper, metalled, two lane road.

Part of it at least is a metalled road, you can see it from the bridge, there's a pub and rowing club down there.

http://cycle.travel/map/journey/61656
Actually, we didn't! That was the original plan but I changed the route and we did the left/north turn earlier at Melton instead. :okay:

I've just checked the climb originally planned from North Ferriby to Swanland. That includes a steepest section of 300 metres at 5.7% instead of 300 metres at 9.7%, so it would have been considerably easier. I thought we would avoid some traffic by going the way we did but the road from Melton to the cement works on our left (just before we turned right up the 9.7% ramp) was actually pretty busy itself.

If we don't do the path to the bridge, we could do the easier climb next time? The price to pay would be to negotiate the potentially busy roundabouts on the A63. I'm not sure how scary those are?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If we don't do the path to the bridge, we could do the easier climb next time? The price to pay would be to negotiate the potentially busy roundabouts on the A63. I'm not sure how scary those are?
I'm sure there's a way over the a63 using a shared footbridge which avoids the climb just after Triton pub too. Sure I've rode that way without A63 roundabouts & major climbing

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm sure there's a way over the a63 using a shared footbridge which avoids the climb just after Triton pub too. Sure I've rode that way without A63 roundabouts & major climbing
That's what I was looking at originally. I just thought it might be a bit noisy riding alongside the A63, but I suppose the main feature of this ride (apart from the bridge itself!) is its flatness so doing away with climbs might be popular. My opinion is that a small climb before the cafe stop isn't such a big deal, though the one that I selected yesterday was harder than I wanted it to be. Entirely my fault - I should have checked the gradients before changing the route.

Venod

Eh up
I haven't managed to make a forum ride yet they always seem to clash with something else, but one day I will turn up, I have ridden over the Humber Bridge quite a lot using various routes to to and from, one of them even involved carrying the bike along the muddy foreshore, I have a route that I enjoy on the CX with quite a few off road bits especially on the south of the river, but here are two of the routes I have used north of the river, one using the shared footbridge mentioned by @Soltydog above and another by the side of the A63 (the path surface isn't the best after the footbridge, I deleted my Strava account last year and stopped using it for a while and when I decided to reopen an account I uploaded all my files but it had only saved them as Morning ride, afternoon ride etc, making searching for a particular ride difficult,I must have some more somewhere, it makes a good hundred ride from home, I have attached some GPX files so you can get a better look.

upload_2018-6-10_18-46-45.png

upload_2018-6-10_18-55-35.png

Attachments

• Humber_Bridge (1).gpx
    1.9 MB · Views: 108
  • Humber_Bridge.gpx
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I haven't managed to make a forum ride yet they always seem to clash with something else, but one day I will turn up, I have ridden over the Humber Bridge quite a lot using various routes to to and from, one of them even involved carrying the bike along the muddy foreshore, I have a route that I enjoy on the CX with quite a few off road bits especially on the south of the river, but here are two of the routes I have used north of the river, one using the shared footbridge mentioned by @Soltydog above and another by the side of the A63 (the path surface isn't the best after the footbridge, I deleted my Strava account last year and stopped using it for a while and when I decided to reopen an account I uploaded all my files but it had only saved them as Morning ride, afternoon ride etc, making searching for a particular ride difficult,I must have some more somewhere, it makes a good hundred ride from home, I have attached some GPX files so you can get a better look.

View attachment 413641
View attachment 413644

The screenshot is pretty much what we did today but we crossed over to the other side of the A63 at Welton. I've also done it the same way as the screenshot before. The screenshot way is the better way as it avoids the double roundabout just before North Ferriby though there are cycle paths to get across them.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Some photos from the day, I think everyone appears in at least one photo. I won't name people just in case they wish to remain anonymous, if not please feel free to identify yourselves>

On the way out this was at an airfield at Breighton, I'm sure someone can identify it (@tallliman will know what it is)
007.JPG

Some ugly bugger who doesn't have to suck in his gut for a photo posing on the Humber Bridge
008.JPG

That's an old cycle chat jersey! Again on the bridge
009.JPG

David Bailey I am not, again the bridge
010.JPG

Another skinny bugger, this one not ugly though.
011.JPG

A couple of very nice bikes, must get matching bottles on that red one though
012.JPG

Now heading back to York and a last viewing of the bridge
013.JPG

Near the end of nice steady climb
023.JPG

Top Bottom