York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of getting train from Hull to Gilberdyke & joining you guys somewhere around Newport. Train arrives in Gilberdyke at 11:17 (ish ^_^) Reckon should be about right timing wise, you'll be just over 30 miles in & having a quick stop at Howden, fingers crossed I'll find you lot easy enough :okay:

Good organising skills, people.

My plan is to pootle out of Cottingham around 8.30am and follow the route in reverse until I find you all - hopefully somewhere around Howden - then stick with the ride until the end and get a train home from York (thanks to @Soltydog ) for the kind offer of a discount voucher.

Would you expect to be in Howden around 11am? Should we miss each other for any reason @Soltydog and @Pale Rider have my mobile number and I'll also PM it to @ColinJ now.

I'm normally a fit and sprightly individual but am just recovering from a very nasty chest infection which, following a heavy cold in April, is the second time this year I've been badly - very unlike me. Anyhow, there's my excuse in early. I might decide to peel off somewhere between Skidby and Market Weighton on the way back if I'm struggling, but hope it doesn't come to that.

Look forward to seeing some familiar faces and making new acquaintances on Saturday :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good organising skills, people.

My plan is to pootle out of Cottingham around 8.30am and follow the route in reverse until I find you all - hopefully somewhere around Howden - then stick with the ride until the end and get a train home from York (thanks to @Soltydog ) for the kind offer of a discount voucher.

Would you expect to be in Howden around 11am? Should we miss each other for any reason @Soltydog and @Pale Rider have my mobile number and I'll also PM it to @ColinJ now.

I'm normally a fit and sprightly individual but am just recovering from a very nasty chest infection which, following a heavy cold in April, is the second time this year I've been badly - very unlike me. Anyhow, there's my excuse in early. I might decide to peel off somewhere between Skidby and Market Weighton on the way back if I'm struggling, but hope it doesn't come to that.

Look forward to seeing some familiar faces and making new acquaintances on Saturday :smile:

Howden looks to be about 25 miles in.

The route is new to us and the first part is on the Solar System cycle path, both of which may slow us a little.

Having said that, we should still make 12/13mph, so that would put us in Howden at 11am or just after.

I think the plan is for a swift stop there, possibly at the Co-op.

Jody

Stubborn git
Hi Colin, Sorry but I'm going to have to give this one a miss. With current injury and lack of mileage this year it would be daft for me to ride this distance. I was waiting to see if things settled down but they havent yet :sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If we get away pretty promptly at 09:00 and there are no punctures/chain problems/whatever then yes - we should get to the Co-op in Howden at about 11:00. We shouldn't really need food, drink or rest that early in the ride but it will give us a few minutes to chat and there are toilets across the road if anyone were desperate.

If somebody on the list doesn't turn up on time we will wait for a few minutes and then set off. It would then be up to them to catch up with us. We will only be riding at 10-15 mph most of the time so that shouldn't be difficult but precise navigation of the route without a GPS might be.

Hi Colin, Sorry but I'm going to have to give this one a miss. With current injury and lack of mileage this year it would be daft for me to ride this distance. I was waiting to see if things settled down but they havent yet :sad:
That's a pity. I hope that things pick up soon and we get a chance to meet up on a future ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was just looking at the end of the route out to the bridge ... An earlier version was planned to get us down onto the TPT at North Ferriby. That idea got scrapped but I didn't take out the section going through the town. It makes sense to use the more direct road from Melton to to Swanland that we will be using on the way back so I have modified the route to go that way instead. Sorry if that inconveniences anyone who has already got the old version on their GPS device! (It means we can skip some busy roundabouts and the road through North Ferriby.)

New file attached below!

Attachments

• York to Humber Bridge 2018.gpx
    15 KB · Views: 50

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Colin and co,

Could someone kindly confirm if this is an all-tarmac route. I'm trying to decide between skinny road bike and fat tourer. Talk about 1st world problems.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin and co,

Could someone kindly confirm if this is an all-tarmac route. I'm trying to decide between skinny road bike and fat tourer. Talk about 1st world problems.
We are riding out of York on the Trans Pennine Trail. I haven't ridden it before but someone said in an earlier post that there are a few tree roots (which implies that parts are not tarmac) but it is supposed to be ok for road bikes.

We will also be returning into York on a cycle path but it looks on Street view that that one is tarmac.

I will be riding on my singlespeed road bike which has one 25 mm tyre and one 23 mm tyre so I hope that the above information is correct!

I haven't ridden it before but someone said in an earlier post that there are a few tree roots (which implies that parts are not tarmac) but it is supposed to be ok for road bikes

That were me. It is tarmac. The roots are pushing up through it to create a surface akin in parts to a corrugated roof. No problem on road bikes, just means you'll have to shave a few mph off the speed you might otherwise caper down there at. If memory serves the rooty sections come and go but are by no means a constant feature. Cheers.

Top Bottom