York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Road-legal e-bikes, that is ... I know people 'adjust' them so they can do much higher speeds!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have been getting a bit distracted by other rides and a forthcoming holiday in Wales, but this ride is still on.

I might not be able to get Internet access while I am away but will definitely be back online by the 27th.

@Littgull and I are still trying to finalise our travel plans to/from York. Doing the full journeys by Northern trains would take us about 2.5 hours each way so we will have to work out whether we can face that on top of a long day out on the bikes!

I will try to update the first post of the thread with our route and other details before I go on my holiday.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have been getting a bit distracted by other rides and a forthcoming holiday in Wales, but this ride is still on.

I might not be able to get Internet access while I am away but will definitely be back online by the 27th.

@Littgull and I are still trying to finalise our travel plans to/from York. Doing the full journeys by Northern trains would take us about 2.5 hours each way so we will have to work out whether we can face that on top of a long day out on the bikes!

I will try to update the first post of the thread with our route and other details before I go on my holiday.

I was just thinking about this & my ride over would have been a week on Monday, but I've just realised that's a bank holiday :sad: How about I send you a voucher anyway & if you decide not to use it for this ride you can make use of it another time :okay: (expires 17th June)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hello Colin,

Can I join you on this ride pls. Tickets bought. Expect to arrive in York at 8.04am. Train from York leaves at 6.21pm - expect we'll arrive back in York by 6 ish?

I think Colin is away for a week or ten days, but no doubt he will be pleased you are joining us.

Return by six-ish is a touch ambitious, closer to 7pm is more likely.

The leg back to York from the bridge on the new route is longer, so if you are struggling for time there's a possibility of reducing the miles by using the old, more direct, route.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think Colin is away for a week or ten days, but no doubt he will be pleased you are joining us.

Return by six-ish is a touch ambitious, closer to 7pm is more likely.

The leg back to York from the bridge on the new route is longer, so if you are struggling for time there's a possibility of reducing the miles by using the old, more direct, route.

Thanks for that Clint.

Hi @Moodyman
Yes will be great that you are joining us. I would echo what Rob (@Pale Rider) has mentioned about the ride finish time. It's more likely to be between 7 pm - 7.30 pm. The other thing to be aware of is that whilst you may have an 'off peak' rail ticket (being a Saturday) that entitles you to travel on any train as a passenger without a bike doing your route the majority of trains from Leeds/Bradford to York and those that return from York are operated by TransPennine Express or Cross Country train franchises. Both require reservations to be made in advance of travel. Transpennine have just revised their policy requiring all bike reservations to be made 24 hours in advance of travel and have reduced their bike space from the previous 4 per train to 2 per train. This makes travel with a bike on their trains very difficult! It is something that @ColinJ and myself are trying to grapple with.

Hope this helps and looking forward to riding with you all on the day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I haven't left yet, but am making final preparations for my departure in the morning. I just popped by for a few minutes ...

Yes, @Moodyman, you'll be welcome, as is anyone else who fancies joining us and is confident of their ability to cope with 100 (almost) flat miles at about 12 mph average riding speed.

As mentioned above - I reckon 7 pm, or a little later is a more likely ETA back in York.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm back from Wales ...

I am slightly distracted by the Cheshire ride coming up this Saturday (2nd June) but will keep an eye on this thread in case anybody has any questions.

@Littgull and I still haven't finalised our rail travel plans so that has to be done ASAP.

Meanwhile ... if you haven't already signed up for this ride - please do! :welcome:

NB For those of you who have done previous editions of the ride - remember that we will start from the front of York railway station this time!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
With the new train timetables that came in last month, there has been quite a few delays with Trans Pennine (certainly in Hull) & a bit of a knock on effect to Northern too, & I know that quite a few Northern services are delayed round Leeds & Manchester areas :sad: Fingers crossed it isn't too bad next Saturday & everyone gets to York in good time :okay:

NB For those of you who have done previous editions of the ride - remember that we will start from the front of York railway station this time!
There are a number of road closures in York that day, due to York Pride. I don't think they'll affect you, as the actual closures for the parade aren't until 10.30 and the roads should have reopened long before you are heading back into York, but the details are all here in case.

Top Bottom