York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Awww! Sad face!
I have a gig in York on the 9th.
If anyone fancies rounding off their ride with a brass band concert, i will be at the Joseph Rowntree theatre.
Alternatively, i could do the ride in my stage outfit, carrying my instrument and then go straight on stage!^_^
Sorry about that!

I'll be diving onto the train back with Littgull so no time for a concert, but I hope it goes well.

We'll see you on the Hebden Bridge ride this weekend!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry - I always regret mentioning alternative dates for this very reason!

This happened on a couple of previous occasions. I thought there might be a very clear preference for one date so it would be easy to choose but just like this time, there was pretty much an equal split.

It is sometimes hard to get people to turn out so I suppose that I was thinking that having flexibility in the date would boost the numbers but it doesn't really - some people can make the second date and some can only make the first date. It just doubles the chances of disappointing people.

Next time I will just name a date and only change it if nobody can make that particular date.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got issued my new work roster yesterday & i'll certainly be able to join for some of the ride. I finish work at 10pm Friday, & then i have a 'spare' shift on Saturday which means my hours can be moved to cover another job, wont know for sure what hours i'm doing till a few days before, but worst case scenario i'll be riding from York to Hull with you guys.
If the date gets moved to July because of weather or any other reason I'll be able to join around lunch time on 14th July :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
With a prompt 9am start we ought to be at the Humber Bridge for 1pm.

The lunch stop is the Water's Edge Cafe on the south side of the bridge, aiming to leave there by 2pm.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A quick heads up for anyone who might be using TransPennine Express to get to or from the ride (or other forum rides later in the year - TPX are the only sensible option for anyone returning to York or West Yorkshire from Scarborough for example):

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/04/transpennine-express-fails-basic-cycle-proficiency/

Including:
From 20 May 2018, TransPennine will be changing its cycle policy to require that cyclists wishing to take their bicycle on a train book their bike a space at least 24 hours before travel. Sure it’s free, but mandatory booking 24 hours before travel?

And:
But the most astonishing thing about this whole ‘initiative’ is that it’s (as of today) not even an option to book your bike on a train via the TransPennine website (it seems that you have to ring / make a booking at a staffed station). It seems like a policy actively designed to exclude cyclists.

Full article at the link above

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A quick heads up for anyone who might be using TransPennine Express to get to or from the ride (or other forum rides later in the year - TPX are the only sensible option for anyone returning to York or West Yorkshire from Scarborough for example):

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/04/transpennine-express-fails-basic-cycle-proficiency/

Including:
From 20 May 2018, TransPennine will be changing its cycle policy to require that cyclists wishing to take their bicycle on a train book their bike a space at least 24 hours before travel. Sure it’s free, but mandatory booking 24 hours before travel?

And:
But the most astonishing thing about this whole ‘initiative’ is that it’s (as of today) not even an option to book your bike on a train via the TransPennine website (it seems that you have to ring / make a booking at a staffed station). It seems like a policy actively designed to exclude cyclists.

Full article at the link above
Offering 4 spaces instead of 2 is good. Making you book them 24+hours in advance is BAD! We had minibuses in this area with bike racks on the back to help tired cyclists get up the steep local hills but you couldn't just stick your bike on the rack and hop onto the bus - you had to anticipate that you would not feel energetic enough to do the pedalling and book a rack space at least a day in advance. I never actually saw the racks being used. I wonder why! :wacko: :whistle:

As for booking bike spaces online. The usual way to do it is to ignore the rail company's own website and go to the Hull Trains site instead. You can usually do it that way, for trains run by ANY company.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Latest versions:

York to Humber Bridge. Only cyclepaths are now out of York, and the one across the bridge; distance 82 kms/51 miles.
Humber Bridge to York via Stamford Bridge. Only cyclepaths are now back over the bridge and back into York; distance 85 kms/53 miles.

Opinions?

I've put both routes onto Strava if anyone wants them. If there are any discrepancies to @ColinJ originals, then the originals are correct. :rolleyes:

Helps if I put up a link :wacko:

https://www.strava.com/routes/13081236

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've put both routes onto Strava if anyone wants them. If there are any discrepancies to @ColinJ originals, then the originals are correct. :rolleyes:

Helps if I put up a link :wacko:

https://www.strava.com/routes/13081236

Good stuff - the more riders who have the route the better, particularly as it is mostly new this year.

On t'other hand, in previous years the ride has stayed together or at least everyone within sight of each other.

I note there are loads of segments on the Strava page.

If anyone starts chasing those segments the rest of us will get very cross - racing behaviour is for another day.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Good stuff - the more riders who have the route the better, particularly as it is mostly new this year.

On t'other hand, in previous years the ride has stayed together or at least everyone within sight of each other.

I note there are loads of segments on the Strava page.

If anyone starts chasing those segments the rest of us will get very cross - racing behaviour is for another day.

I was going to ask you to lead me out on some of them :whistle:

Top Bottom