York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll scan through the entire thread tomorrow and post about who is doing what, when, and where we are going to do it! :okay:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Still unsure where I'll be joining you good folk. Saturday I'm working 18.55 - 23.55 & to join you at the start I'd need to leave home shortly after 6am , which isn't ideal if I'm working till midnight, so my options are to travel out a little later to Howden or Newport & meet up there, or meet up at the lunch stop? & then ride back as far as Market Weighton (ish) before heading back to Hull for my shift :unsure: Anyone riding that uses Strava live tracking/beacon whatever it's called?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have been slacking - sorry!

I don't do tracking, maybe someone else does? If you have a GPS you could simply ride the exact route in reverse and shout when you see us?

I have amended the route file very slightly because I forgot to include the turn to the toilets and Co-op in Howden. A guest is arriving shortly, but I will get back to the thread later this evening to do a proper update.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Still unsure where I'll be joining you good folk. Saturday I'm working 18.55 - 23.55 & to join you at the start I'd need to leave home shortly after 6am , which isn't ideal if I'm working till midnight, so my options are to travel out a little later to Howden or Newport & meet up there, or meet up at the lunch stop? & then ride back as far as Market Weighton (ish) before heading back to Hull for my shift :unsure: Anyone riding that uses Strava live tracking/beacon whatever it's called?

No doubt you've thought of most options, but biting the early morning bullet to make the start seems a good bet.

That would give you 50 miles riding with us to the bridge, lunch, a few more miles home, and an hour or two on the sofa before going to work.

One of our new riders might be tracker literate, but I doubt any of the old sweats who've done the ride in previous years is.

Our leader's secondhand Garmin with dodgy battery terminals sets the technological tone for most of us.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Start time is 9am.

Start place is the main entrance of York railway station.

It's off a small service road off Queen Street/Station Road.

With the station behind you, we are leaving to the right.

The service road is quite busy with buses and taxis, but there's some hardstanding outside the Cycle Heaven bike shop, which is also handy for the way we want to depart.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...98a54e4d1!8m2!3d53.9599651!4d-1.0872979?hl=en

Cycle Heaven is the greeny/blue shopfront in this streetview:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.9...047&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Very regrettably I've now got to give this ride a miss. I had a freakishly exhausting week last week for various reasons and had to 'bail out' due to fatigue after just 31 miles of @ColinJ excellent Cheshire forum ride last Saturday. I've never had to do this before and usually take 100+ mile rides in my stride with a fair bit 'left in the tank' at the finish!

Thankfully, I've recovered a bit of energy from a few early nights but still not yet firing on all cylinders. So I've decided to play safe and take things easy at least until next week.

I've been in touch with Colin. Have a great day out and I hope the weather remains good.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Very regrettably I've now got to give this ride a miss. I had a freakishly exhausting week last week for various reasons and had to 'bail out' due to fatigue after just 31 miles of @ColinJ excellent Cheshire forum ride last Saturday. I've never had to do this before and usually take 100+ mile rides in my stride with a fair bit 'left in the tank' at the finish!

Thankfully, I've recovered a bit of energy from a few early nights but still not yet firing on all cylinders. So I've decided to play safe and take things easy at least until next week.

I've been in touch with Colin. Have a great day out and I hope the weather remains good.

Oh dear, from a purely selfish view that's a pity because you are always excellent riding company.

On t'other hand, I'm sure you don't want to risk conking out miles from anywhere in the leafy Vale of York with a load of cyclists with a schedule to keep.

Funny thing, exhaustion.

If you get properly cream crackered, it can take a week or two or even longer to recover.

Sounds like time is all you need.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
No doubt you've thought of most options, but biting the early morning bullet to make the start seems a good bet.
That would give you 50 miles riding with us to the bridge, lunch, a few more miles home, and an hour or two on the sofa before going to work.
One of our new riders might be tracker literate, but I doubt any of the old sweats who've done the ride in previous years is.

I'm not going to be home till about 11pm on Friday evening, so a 5:30 alarm call on Saturday will probably leave me knackered for days :blush: I live too far away from Hull for it to be worthwhile riding home for an hour before heading back, so I'll look at the route maps & see where is going to be best for me to join in & leave. Reckon if I work on you guys doing 15mph you shouldn't get ahead of my planned meeting point :okay:

Oh dear, from a purely selfish view that's a pity because you are always excellent riding company.

On t'other hand, I'm sure you don't want to risk conking out miles from anywhere in the leafy Vale of York with a load of cyclists with a schedule to keep.

Funny thing, exhaustion.

If you get properly cream crackered, it can take a week or two or even longer to recover.

Sounds like time is all you need.
Awww, thanks for your kind words, Rob. You are spot on about the effects of exhaustion being peculiar. I'm afraid I ended up being a right irritable grouch before I bailed out last Saturday.

The good thing is that despite the tiredness I haven't lost my enthusiasm for doing long rides so will hopefully be riding with you again before the summer is out.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, it is a pity that Brian is too tired to join us, but let's face it - you don't fix being tired by doing more!

Oldfentiger is kindly giving me a lift in so I don't have to do battle with unpredictable Northern trains ... We will be parking at the Moor Lane car park 3.5 km SW of the station straight down the A1036. We're aiming to get to the car park at 08:20-08:25 so we should arrive at the station with 20+ minutes to spare. As Rob posted above - it will be a 9 am start from York railway station, NOT THE MINSTER THIS YEAR!!! Please try not to be late.

I have attached my outward and return GPX files again below. The outward file that I posted a few pages back didn't include the turn for the Co-op and toilets in Howden. (We aim to have a short break there.). My files are simplified to suit my GPS. You may prefer the more detailed Strava versions posted on a previous page.

We will be doing about 700 metres on the A19 between Deighton and Escrick. There is a cycle path covering that stretch. If the traffic is worryingly fast/ heavy I will use the path instead of the road. What you do is up to you!

I have skimmed through the thread and I think this is the list of potential riders ...
If I have tagged you there, would you please confirm that you are coming, or let me know if you are not? Cheers.

(If you want to be added to the list, feel free to post below!)

It should be a good turnout. Hopefully we will have several riders with the route on GPS devices. Ideally we would have someone at the front and someone at the back who can follow the route, and maybe a couple more in the group in between. It is easy to keep track of 5 or 6 riders but 12 or 13 could easily split into 2 or more groups on the road.

The forecast is currently looking ok - dry, breezy and mild.

Attachments

• Humber Bridge to York via Stamford Bridge.gpx
    11.3 KB · Views: 58
  • York to Humber Bridge 2018.gpx
    15.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Top Bottom