York Rally 2015, 20-21st June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikepete

Guru
yr-artwork01-300x163.jpg

Happy to report that the York Rally will be returning to the Knavesmire in York on 20-21st June!

All the details at: http://www.yorkrally.org

2015 sees the revival of this event (with a heritage stretching back to 1945) by an independent, volunteer committee of cyclists, and it's to be a friendly get-together with a mix of traditional and new attractions. There's camping on site, there'll be rides out each day (and to the pub in the evening) and masses of things to do and watch (grasstrack racing, saddlebag sale/cycle jumble, exhibitions/displays from all sorts of cycling clubs/organisations, a trade show...).

Plus much more to be confirmed shortly - watch the website, Facebook and Twitter for updates!

Early campsite bookings are much appreciated, and you can also become a Friend of York Rally to help support the revival!

Hope to see many CCers there! You can mention CycleChat when you book a campsite pitch to be sited together with other forumites (if you want to be!)...

OP
OP
bikepete

bikepete

Guru
Not sure we'd put it quite like that but we are indeed an independent committee running the event - not part of the CTC. The event can self fund and it seems simpler to stay independent. Some individuals on the committee are CTC members, but many are not.

Being completely independent (and focused on just one thing - running the Rally - with no other agenda) also allows us to invite absolutely everyone active in cycling (including the CTC, BC, etc etc.) to come to the Rally, to make it the 'rallying point' that the 1945 founders intended.

(and apologies for broken links on the website recently - now fixed!)

OP
OP
bikepete

bikepete

Guru
Back again after our latest meeting! The 2015 York Rally is really starting to shape up now. In addition to everything announced previously I can now confirm:

• A big welcome to the Yorkshire Cyclo-Cross Association who have confirmed a race meeting at the York Rally! This is expected to bring at least 200-odd racers and their supporters to the Rally on the Sunday morning… in addition to all of the grasstrack racing competitors.
  • Popular folk band The Foresters have been booked for evening entertainment on the Saturday night.
  • The York Rally will this year host a lively 'event within the event' celebrating human power in all its forms: the Pedal Power Invention Convention will be an extravaganza of DIY cycle engineering, pedal generators, practical cargo bikes and more, with plenty of opportunities for education and participation.
  • We have applied for National Lottery funding for additional educational and youth activities - we hope to hear in a few weeks. If we have been funded, many more good things will be announced!
  • Thanks to all of the trade exhibitors who have booked in already! Well-known names already confirmed as attending include Spa Cycles, Hewitt Cycles, JD Tandems and more. Full list will be on the website shortly…
  • We now have a wide range of York Rally-branded clothing on sale - other items of merchandise including Rally badges will be confirmed soon. Order now - we can post, or you can collect at the Rally.
  • We will be running another York Rally Sportive for 2015 on the 20th September (after the Rally) for further fundraising and for a great day's riding! Enter online now.
  • Our next meeting will be on the 11th April 2015.

Finally, a reminder that earlybird prices for the campsite close in just a few weeks, on the 6th April. Book now for the reduced prices!

Peter Eland
Publicity Officer
York Rally Committee

A recent York Rally/Invention Convention poster:
YR-IC-poster-600w.jpg

Slioch

Guru
Got all dates plugged into my diary.

I've never done a sportive before (being a miserable solitary sort of bugger when it comes to the cycling), but have always thought I ought to try at least one to see what they're like, and as this one starts just 200 yards from my house, I have a feeling I may well be tempted.

Getting quite excited at the prospect. :hyper:

OP
OP
bikepete

bikepete

Guru
Never done one myself either I must admit, but I was wishing I was riding last time, instead of standing around at a feeding station :-). Lots of smiling riders going past! See you there I hope.

HelenD123

Guru
Sounds like it's shaping up to be a great event Pete. Sadly I'd already booked to go on a cycling trip that weekend. What a shame. I'll think about doing the sportive in September. A few CCers (including Arch and Admin) did one from Beverley ahd had a lot of fun.

OP
OP
bikepete

bikepete

Guru
Under two weeks to go until the York Rally 2015 campsite opens! And as you'll see from this draft cover, the show programme is almost finished too...

Campsite advance bookings are still open for another week - book ahead and get fast-tracked through when you arrive! For a more general update on the Rally, see last week's website post: "Three weeks to go"...

See you there! It'll be a grand weekend :-)

cover-provisional-01-Small.jpg

Top Bottom