England : North Yorkshire Yorkshire Dales forum ride - 'The Settle Spectacular', July 25th 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
So, you don't fancy doing Fleet Moss in both directions that weekend ...? :whistle:

If I was not doing PBP about a fortnight later I would be tempted but two hilly rides like that could burn me out and I may not recover enough. Just one at a steady pace will be enough to keep me ticking over.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good luck with PBP!

Speaking of 'ticking over' - you have just reminded me that my bike is making an annoying ticking sound from the bottom bracket area which needs sorting out. Worse than that - the freehub is also playing up. I do not want to find myself somewhere like Hawes with a bike pretending to be a 'hobby horse' ...

busdennis

Veteran
hi colin
I should be able to give you a lift at some point that day, could you get to Bradford or one of the smaller towns close by

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

hi colin
I should be able to give you a lift at some point that day, could you get to Bradford or one of the smaller towns close by
That's very kind of you!

I mentioned the ride to a local friend who might want to come along. He hasn't got a car at the moment so if he does decide to come we were going to catch the train to Clitheroe together and then ride to Settle. If he does come, it would be fairer to accompany him rather than just tell him to meet us there.

If he decides NOT to come, I could easily nip over to Halifax or Bradford Interchange on the train and meet you in front of either station?

To whet the appetite of anybody thinking of doing the route ... The Cycle Show tonight featured the Fleet Moss climb - LINK to it on ITVPlayer, valid for 30 days from the date of this post. It is at the end of the show, at about the 55 minute point.

To whet the appetite of anybody thinking of doing the route ... The Cycle Show tonight featured the Fleet Moss climb - LINK to it on ITVPlayer, valid for 30 days from the date of this post. It is at the end of the show, at about the 55 minute point.
You think that item will whet appetites, rather than have people researching electric bikes, Colin? ;-) Some amusing camera tilting on the last bits made it look even steeper than it is which, to be fair, was unnecessary!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[QUOTE 3807040, member: 9609"]what sort of time scale would the group be taking over this ?
71 mile + 6500' ascent = would 11.3 hours (inc all stops) be too slow ?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I have been a bit slack filling in details! :blush:

Meet in Settle in front of Ye Old Naked Man cafe in Settle at about 09:45 with a view to setting off at 10:00.

I haven't yet confirmed with @busdennis whether I will be getting a lift with him or not. If I am making my own way over then I need to be getting back to Settle by 19:30 at the latest because I would still have another 17 miles to ride to Clitheroe to catch the last train home from there. That would be a maximum of 9.5 hours if we set off promptly at 10:00. I'm hoping that we only stop for about an hour in total to keep the pressure off the average speed. 1 hour of stops would mean riding at 8.5 mph average speed (72/8.5). 2 hours of stops would increase that to about 9.5 mph (72/7.5).

If I do get a lift, then that potentially takes the pressure off the speed. I would certainly want to aim for getting back to Settle by 20:30 though to allow for any mechanical problems which might delay us. I don't really want to be riding back to Settle in the dark! (Sunset will be about 21:15 on Saturday.) That would be 10.5 hours. That would mean riding at 7.5 mph with 1 hour of stops or 8.5 mph with 2 hours of stops.

For anybody who might be interested - I have attached a GPX file showing the route.

Attachments

• Settle forum ride 25 07 15.gpx
    20.9 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[QUOTE 3808651, member: 9609"]thanks for that - I am going to give this one a miss, I think I would just be too slow, I would be fine with the distance and ascent but going on stuff I have done before I would be wanting the best part of 12 hours, and it would spoil it for me trying to keep up with others - I must try to improve my speed and then i could join in with stuff like this, trouble is I normally just cycle by myself and my times are just getting slower and slower.[/QUOTE]
Oh well, maybe see you on a different ride one day?

I had forgotten that some of the friends I invited to join us have already told me that they are going to a wedding on Saturday. One other MIGHT join us, but he thinks we are a bit SLOW! It is tricky trying to cater for a wide range of speeds without splitting into 2 or more groups, which obviously wouldn't work with just 3 or 4 riders. Well, it could work but we would all be riding solo! :laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Colin, I see you've got a low turnout for this one. Is it still on or have you cancelled it?

I'd like to join if it's still on.

Let me know if it's on and I will buy the train tickets - advance are a bit cheaper than on the day.

Travelling from Shipley.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin, I see you've got a low turnout for this one. Is it still on or have you cancelled it?

I'd like to join if it's still on.

Let me know if it's on and I will buy the train tickets - advance are a bit cheaper than on the day.

Travelling from Shipley.
It is still on unless the weather turns really nasty. Currently, the forecast isn't looking too bad for Saturday. I don't mind cycling in sunny intervals and showers but would be put off by gale force winds and thunderstorms!

If it isn't too much more expensive to buy your tickets nearer Saturday, it might be better to wait a couple of days, just in case.

I wouldn't cancel the ride altogether, but would postpone it until some date in August. In fact, I might do a rerun in August anyway if a Scottish cousin comes down for a cycling holiday. He was down for Tour de Yorkshire weekend and said that he would like to do more cycling round here.

It would be great to finally meet you, so I hope you DO join us! Others welcome too, so sign up below.

@pubrunner - are you joining us?

@busdennis - you have gone a bit quiet - if you are still coming, let me know and then I will PM you about that lift.

Riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Sea of vapours
  • Moodyman
  • busdennis??
  • pubrunner??

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Good thinking about not buying the advance tickets Colin. I shall withhold purchase.

Count me in as a definite. PM with the details on its way.

Fubar

Guru
Details of a forum ride from Settle in North Yorkshire, to take place on Saturday, 25th July, 2015. It is based on the very popular Settle ride that I organised in 2011 - LINK.

With helpful suggestions from @Sea of vapours, I have come up with a few interesting variations on the original route.

Meet in Settle in front of Ye Old Naked Man cafe in Settle at about 09:45 with a view to setting off at 10:00.

I might be getting a lift over to Settle with busdennis. If I am making my own way over then I need to be getting back to Settle by 19:30 at the latest because I would still have another 17 miles to ride to Clitheroe to catch the last train home from there. That would be a maximum of 9.5 hours if we set off promptly at 10:00 in the morning. I'm hoping that we only stop for about an hour in total to keep the pressure off the average speed. 1 hour of stops would mean riding at 8.5 mph average speed (72/8.5). 2 hours of stops would increase that to about 9.5 mph (72/7.5).

If I do get a lift, then that potentially takes the pressure off the speed. I would certainly want to aim for getting back to Settle by 20:30 though to allow for any mechanical problems which might delay us. I don't really want to be riding back to Settle in the dark! (Sunset will be about 21:15 on Saturday.) That would be 10.5 hours corresponding to an average riding speed of of 7.5 - 8.5 mph.

GPX file of the route.

We will miss out on the ascent past Dent station and the descent to Garsdale Head, instead climbing to Gayle Moor above Ribblehead and then having a nice descent down the B6255 towards Hawes, with a short detour via Appersett because I want to check out that road!

We will follow the same route as before to Arncliffe, but this time we will proceed along the full length of Littondale rather than climbing straight from the village over to Malham Tarn. We will then climb over Dawson Close and descend to Stainforth, returning to Settle on the B6479 and the back road from Langcliffe to Settle.

The full route is 116 km (72 miles) in length with a lot of tough climbing, so I wouldn't recommend that you undertake that unless you have done such rides before, or are pretty confident that you are ready to tackle this one. SHORTER OPTION You could accompany us to the 50 km point on Gayle Moor, but then say goodbye and descend 20 km to Settle via Ribblehead and Horton-in-Ribblesdale. That would be a much easier ride.

Here is a simple map showing the route:

View attachment 93980

(The thick green line shows the shortcut back to Settle.)

Main route profile:

: View attachment 93979

Shorter route profile:

View attachment 93981

(Note that the scale of this profile is different to the first profile so bear that in mind when comparing with the other one.)

No rider left behind, friendly chat, gorgeous scenery, cafe stop in Hawes. Sign up below! :okay:

Rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • Sea of vapours
  • busdennis

Looks like a great route Colin, can't make this weekend but with a bit more planning it might be something a few of us could come down from Scotchland for a meet up? Can never rely on the weather mind...

Top Bottom