England : North Yorkshire Yorkshire Dales forum ride - 'The Settle Spectacular', July 25th 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
still coming Colin and still happy to give a lift, don't have a mobile myself but will be borrowing one for Saturday so will pm you a number when I find it out

just hoping for good weather

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
still coming Colin and still happy to give a lift, don't have a mobile myself but will be borrowing one for Saturday so will pm you a number when I find it out

just hoping for good weather
Cheers. Which station on the Caldervale line would be the best to be picked up from, and how long do you think it would take to drive to Settle from there? (So I can work out which train to catch.)

I would guess that you could drive to Settle in about an hour, so that would probably mean me arriving at about 08:45 but if you would prefer it earlier, let me know. Ideally, we would be in Settle by 09:45.

Looks like a great route Colin, can't make this weekend but with a bit more planning it might be something a few of us could come down from Scotchland for a meet up? Can never rely on the weather mind...
That sounds good! As I mentioned above, there is a strong possibility of a rerun in a few weeks time if my cousin makes it down from the Highlands with his bike.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hope at least one of you remembers a camera. :thumbsup:
I have just bought a Canon S120 and will definitely be taking that with me. I have a small bar bag which I can squeeze the camera into so it is always to hand. I must remember to charge the battery on Friday night. (I probably wouldn't remember, so I have set a reminder alarm on my phone.)

doughnut

Veteran
Been away on holiday so I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'd like to sign up for this. I've not ridden much for a few weeks, so I've loaded the escape route into my GPS as well and I will see how I feel halfway through.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

have you seen the conversation i started yesterday Colin?
I have had a few goes at replying but there seems to have been a glitch which prevented it. I saved my draft so I will try again - hold on ...

Damn - it WAS posting them, only I couldn't see that I was. Ok, you now have my reply in triplicate! :laugh:

Been away on holiday so I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'd like to sign up for this. I've not ridden much for a few weeks, so I've loaded the escape route into my GPS as well and I will see how I feel halfway through.
Excellent! The numbers are starting to look a bit more respectable now ...

Riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Sea of vapours
  • busdennis
  • Moodyman
  • doughnut
More riders welcome!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ok, busdennis has kindly extended his offer of a lift to include my pal Bill (not a member of CC) so now the rider list is ...

• ColinJ
  • 'Bill'
  • Sea of vapours
  • busdennis
  • Moodyman
  • doughnut
That's a decent number of riders so I am happy that my planning has been worthwhile. Still, if anybody else wants to come along - sign up below! If you do not want to commit yourself, you could just turn up unannounced, but once the 6 of us have gathered, we won't be hanging about on the off chance of other riders arriving.

@busdennis - Bill and I have worked out that by the time you had driven us from Keighley to Bramley and dropped us off, we waited for a train, and then caught the train back, it would have been quicker to have ridden back over the hill to Calderdale so we will get you to drop us off at Keighley instead of Bramley. You'd only have to nip off the dual carriageway at one roundabout and rejoin it about a mile further on. Cheers.

Time to do last minute bike fettling ...

I have a freehub problem on my Cannondale. I have been waiting for some new pawl springs to be delivered but unless they come in the post this afternoon, I will pinch the rear wheel off my Basso. I would have to swap the cassettes over because the Basso is 9 speed rather than 10.

I also have to replace my front brake blocks. I could probably get away with another couple of rides on the old blocks, but we have some steep descents to do and I don't want to risk wrecking my front wheel by wearing the blocks out halfway down one of them!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

BTW - for a longer bailout option than the original one suggested, come with the rest of us to the cafe stop at Hawes. Afterwards climb back up the B6255 towards Ribblehead and turn left to follow the original bailout option back to Settle. You would replace two very hard climbs with one easier one, and cut 21 kms out of the ride, making a total distance of about 95 km or 60 miles.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Colin, had a chest infection all week and was hoping to be fit by tomorrow. I just can't shake it off so afraid I will have to pull out of this ride.

It's a bit too long and hilly to ride below par.

Apologies for any inconvenience and hope everybody has a great ride.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Colin, had a chest infection all week and was hoping to be fit by tomorrow. I just can't shake it off so afraid I will have to pull out of this ride.

It's a bit too long and hilly to ride below par.

Apologies for any inconvenience and hope everybody has a great ride.

Have a great ride folks. The weather looks very promising - much better than Sunday. A pattern that occurred for Colin's last two hugely enjoyable rides.

Unfortunately, I have a glut of family commitments as well as 2 weeks holiday away taking up each weekend throughout August and early September but looking forward to more forum rides afterwards.

Top Bottom