Yorkshire puddings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
Yorkshire’s are so simple
Firstly the fat or oil has to be hot. I’d had my trays in the oven nearly 30 mins yesterday.
Secondly forget the scales it’s all about quantity.
For two of us here I use
two eggs ...they are usually 120 ml so i then use
120 ml milk ... (120 ml equates to half a cup)
1/2 cup of plain flour. I use strong because that’s all I’ve got.
a bit of salt n pepper and whisk it up.

cambsno

I normally use 55g plain flour, 145ml of semi skimmed, 1 egg, mustard powder (half a teaspoon) and salt & pepper. This makes 4 big ones or scale up as required. On Sunday 3 were lovely although 1 seemed a bit flat? Normally use a muffin type tray but sometimes use this 4 space bigger pudding one. As others have said, make in advance and have at room temp. Put tray in oven with dripping, rapeseed oil or similar oil and leave for a good 10-15 mins, ideally at around 220-230, put in straight away and then oven down to 190/200.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
1/2 pt milk, 4oz flour, one egg, salt and pepper.

My Yorkshire tin was my granny's... just do one big pud in that. Add sausages for a toad now and again, sometimes mix it in the bowl that I used for the sage and onion stuffing for a bit of extra flavour if we're having a chicken or at Christmas.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1/2 pt milk, 4oz flour, one egg, salt and pepper.

My Yorkshire tin was my granny's... just do one big pud in that. Add sausages for a toad now and again, sometimes mix it in the bowl that I used for the sage and onion stuffing for a bit of extra flavour if we're having a chicken or at Christmas.

This is my recipe too and it works a treat.
For a little extra zing I had a couple of pinches of Paprika.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
.. don't open the oven whilst they are cooking. You let in cooler air and they will deflate.

T4tomo

Guru
Like Old shep I use equal volume method and scale up eggs depending on guests. Success isn't that dependent on the batter mix ratios tbh, as long as its a reasonable consistency (thick cream?) from double wet to dry volumes.

What is crucial is hot oil and oven, no peeking / opening oven door, and make sure nowt else is in the oven when you are cooking them. your meat should be resting anyway and your roast spuds in a warming drawer or in serving bowl keeping warm.

When I first made them for the other half whose family always used aunt bessies , she spent 15 mins sat on kitchen floor opposite the oven watching them rise, like it was some sort of northern cookery sorcery.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Like Old shep I use equal volume method and scale up eggs depending on guests. Success isn't that dependent on the batter mix ratios tbh, as long as its a reasonable consistency (thick cream?) from double wet to dry volumes.

What is crucial is hot oil and oven, no peeking / opening oven door, and make sure nowt else is in the oven when you are cooking them. your meat should be resting anyway and your roast spuds in a warming drawer or in serving bowl keeping warm.

When I first made them for the other half whose family always used aunt bessies , she spent 15 mins sat on kitchen floor opposite the oven watching them rise, like it was some sort of northern cookery sorcery.
I still watch mine- better than the tele nowadays.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Not a modern recipe, and I doubt I'll try it!!

gbb

Legendary Member
I notice a few suggestion about having your mix at room temp...but my SIL makes consistenty good, very good Yorkshire and always chills the mix before cooking.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Yorkshire’s are about proportions ... the simplest recipe is : 1 teamug plain flour, 1 teamug milk (any), 0.5 teamug eggs , pinch of salt , mix it all together and put into cooking vessel that’s smokin hot containing lard or beef dripping - as much as your heart can take .... here’s one of mine in a large roasting tin ... oven needs to be around 200’C

Top Bottom