Yorkshire Santa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Err it's the other way round. Earliest sunset is tomorrow, shortest day 21st, latest sunrise the 28th and 29th. Enter your location at sunrise-sunset
to get it to the nearest second.
All I really know is that it's not quite as simple as the solstice having both the latest sunrise and the earliest sunset, even though many people assume that must be so, by virtue of it being the shortest day. It still fascinates me to look at the slowly creeping times, and makes me marvel even more that our prehistoric forebears could capture timings so precisely in places such as Maeshowe and Newgrange, where one presumes it wasn't a whole lot more sunny around the winter solstice 3.000 years ago than it is now -- although maybe it was ...

classic33

Leg End Member
We get an extra two whole seconds of daylight on the 22nd.
Use that time wisely!

We get an extra two whole seconds of daylight on the 22nd.
Use that time wisely!
I used to work with someone who took the greatest joy - usually in March or April when daffodils were in flower and the clocks about to go, or just gone, forward, and people planning summer holidays - in shaking his head and saying gloomy things like 'only eleven weeks until the evenings start drawing in...'. i used to take great delight in retorting with things like, 'yes, at four thirty in the morning - I suppose you'll really miss those three seconds ...'

classic33

Leg End Member
I used to work with someone who took the greatest joy - usually in March or April when daffodils were in flower and the clocks about to go, or just gone, forward, and people planning summer holidays - in shaking his head and saying gloomy things like 'only eleven weeks until the evenings start drawing in...'. i used to take great delight in retorting with things like, 'yes, at four thirty in the morning - I suppose you'll really miss those three seconds ...'
Night drawing in in the morning would make for a short day!

Night drawing in in the morning would make for a short day!
Yes, he'd also witter on endlessly about how miserable it was to get up in darkness in the mornings; I think that in his mind it didn't get light until approaching noon from about the end of July onwards! Hence my remarks about three seconds at four in the morning. Thing is, that throughout much of the year I was the one getting up before dawn to train my horses yet he was the one moaning about it! Dreadful man, one of the worst glass-half-full pessimists I've ever known.

Top Bottom