Yorkshire Santa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many of these Christmas Wonderland/Meet Santa things over the past several years seem to have had a high failure rate. Yet I remember the old 'meet Father Christmas at (name your department store of choice)' as being the highlight of many a child's Christmas. Is it that the organisers of such activities nowadays are being a combination of too greedy and over-promising/over-ambitious?

Back in - when? the early 70s I should think - my uncle Bill won a prize when the Sunday Times (I think it was that - it was one of the big colour supplement weekend broadsheets, anyway) had 'best Father Christmas in Britain' contest; he came second in the country, at a Manchester department store - Lewis's I think - while first prize was awarded to one in London. Probably Harrods. It was judged on the overall quality of the experience, suitability of the gift, and the child's and parent's assessment of Father Christmas himself. My Uncle Bill was indeed a truly lovely man and he really enjoyed doing it; I'm sure this must have come through in the child's and parent's assessments - I think he was top in that and the rest was very close-run.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yep, god knows where I saw Santa, local department store or wherever.
Not sure why I never directly questioned why he was hanging out in a blackburn furniture shop or wherever it was. Tho I may have harboured certain doubts.

Yep, god knows where I saw Santa, local department store or wherever.
Not sure why I never directly questioned why he was hanging out in a blackburn furniture shop or wherever it was. Tho I may have harboured certain doubts.

When I was still credulous, but had expressed certain doubts, I was told that Father Christmas OBVIOUSLY couldn't be everywhere at once so he 'asked his relatives' to help him out ...

OP
OP
Blue Hills
When I was still credulous, but had expressed certain doubts, I was told that Father Christmas OBVIOUSLY couldn't be everywhere at once so he 'asked his relatives' to help him out ...
And so your illusions about the world were shattered by a crash course on nepotism.

classic33

Leg End Member
The original piece took place over a week ago. It's been in almost every paper since then.
£10 entry fee per adult
£15 entry fee per child
Both carried a £1.67 booking fee for each ticket.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Manchester department store - Lewis's I think
Mid to late 60's, it was Lewis's to see Santa for me and my brothers too; but the Glasgow branch.
A big day out for us as we lived on the Isle of Bute, so it was a half hour ferry trip to Wemyss Bay, 45 minutes on the train to the big bad city, then a visit to Santa at Lewis's followed by lunch somewhere before the return trip. The good ol' days when Christmas was CHRISTMAS! Now it all passes me by; I look forward to the days getting longer after December 22nd.

Mid to late 60's, it was Lewis's to see Santa for me and my brothers too; but the Glasgow branch.
A big day out for us as we lived on the Isle of Bute, so it was a half hour ferry trip to Wemyss Bay, 45 minutes on the train to the big bad city, then a visit to Santa at Lewis's followed by lunch somewhere before the return trip. The good ol' days when Christmas was CHRISTMAS! Now it all passes me by; I look forward to the days getting longer after December 22nd.

Yes, I too look forward to the Solstice, and follow the timings of sunrise and sunset with interest as although the days get longer, the sun continues to sets a wee bit earlier for quite a few days after the solstice. So if you don't notice those few minutes in the morning, it doesn't seem that the days are lengthening at all until after Christmas. Blame the slight tilt of the earth!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Had a similar situation down here several years ago. There was an existing “ Alice in Wonderland experience “ In fields close to the airport. A company set up a “ Santa Wonderland “ with a Santa trail, elves, real reindeer etc. The reality was a bare muddy field with bits of tinsel, a solitary reindeer and a few soggy elves. There was a similar uproar and the company folded and disappeared. I wondered if it’s a business set up to fail once they’ve gathered in the money and made a token effort.

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone who pays 42 sheets to a drunk sex offender in a santa costume surely can't be in a position to complain when things inevitably turn out bad?

Mr Celine

Discordian
Yes, I too look forward to the Solstice, and follow the timings of sunrise and sunset with interest as although the days get longer, the sun continues to sets a wee bit earlier for quite a few days after the solstice. So if you don't notice those few minutes in the morning, it doesn't seem that the days are lengthening at all until after Christmas. Blame the slight tilt of the earth!
Err it's the other way round. Earliest sunset is tomorrow, shortest day 21st, latest sunrise the 28th and 29th. Enter your location at sunrise-sunset
to get it to the nearest second.

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone who pays 42 sheets to a drunk sex offender in a santa costume surely can't be in a position to complain when things inevitably turn out bad?
Entry fee for each parent, and the child, plus a seperate booking fee for each ticket bought.

He's been on local radio and TV, along with practically every UK newspaper, at some time in the last week.
I'd say he'd have his money back by now. What about the rest that paid, received the same "service" and are awaiting a refund from the host venue. As it would appear that the company doing the Santa Experience folded two years ago.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is story like this every year, as these thing set up; turn out to be shite; disappoint people and fold.

Why parents bother with them is beyond me. First world problems.
Locally it's odd, as the council have banned all other such grottos in the town centre. Allowing just this one in the Piece Hall, now kicked out of it.

They'd cornered the market, could charge what they wanted, and now it's gone.

Top Bottom