Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paladin - York

Another untried variation on Yorkshire Wolds cycle routes planned for this month this time the YWCR.

Leave home on the 23rd August and pick up the clockwise route from Kirkham Abbey, near Malton. Overnight at Skerne near Driffield.

Holy Warrior

Sorry to bump this :smile:

Is there any more details on this PY? Distance, duration, where you'll be sleeping etc? Yorkshire (especially the Dales) is a great place to cycle and my fitness is getting to the stage where i'd be thinking about trying somehting like this soon. :smile:

OP
OP
Paladin - York

Paladin - York

Sorry to bump this :smile:

Is there any more details on this PY? Distance, duration, where you'll be sleeping etc? Yorkshire (especially the Dales) is a great place to cycle and my fitness is getting to the stage where i'd be thinking about trying somehting like this soon. :smile:

Hi HW

Please note that the YWCR is a route based over the "Wolds" not the "Dales" so you would expect the going to be a bit easier than across where you live.

I'm basing the ride on the Yorkshire Wolds, York & Hull Sustrans Map (Discover Series) and the total distance is quoted at 146 miles. However, I'll be starting from home which will add a further 20 miles in total. I've decided to travel light on account of the distance and the time I've got so I've booked The Beeches b&b at Skerne near Driffield, which is approximately half way.

I returned from a Humber Bridge foray on Wednesday which involved a 66 miles first day & an 86 miles second day, averaging 12.2 mph & 12.5 mph respectively, therefore the YWCR is promising, providing body & soul don't disintegrate in the process. Please note I do all these routes on a Kona Firemountain fitted with Schwalbe Marathons. I often end up going off road at some stage on most routes, as in the Hudson Way on Wednesday, I think that road bikes would have found that tricky, at best.

If the worst happens on the YWCR, and I fall behind schedule, then a quick look at the map shows lots of escape routes. Sustrans are adept at routing around three sides of a square. On Wednesday I had a gear cable snap about 10 miles from home, this was not a disaster as it turned out but I could not get away with a quick start at junctions. All was put right the same day - I called out the York Cytech Man with a Van and he replaced the cable while I was having my tea. Great service.

I have only picked up a limited amount of feedback about this NEW route and that is, it is quite "bumpy", so I'm preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

Hope this rambling helps.

Top Bottom