Yorkshire's Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yorkshire produced one of our finest actors - Sean Bean - who's carved out a career playing Yorkshiremen in different movies eg. Yorkshire Bond villain, Yorkshire military commander, Yorkshire Director of space operations to Mars, Yorkshireman in Middle Earth. Fabulous :okay:.
I love Sean Bean, me. A really, really good actor.

I was once walking into a pub en-route to an away game at Bramhall Lane and Bean was just leaving with his mate, the then-rising Stephen Graham. Sean Bean would be welcome in Liverpool and inside our football ground any time. The other one wouldn't and will probably never try it again since he knows what's best for him.

classic33

Leg End Member
The problem with Yorkshire (all of them) is they have to live in the shadow of Lancashire - particularly the old county of Lancashire. Yorkshiremen are what god had to populate the county with to counter the (sometimes nice) countryside. They tend to go quiet if you ask how many times a Yorkshire football team brought home the European Cup.
If it weren't for Yorkshire, there'd be no football.

How many Lancashire born players were on the first English team to win?

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
how many times a Yorkshire football team brought home the European Cup.
About as many as Lancashire teams I'd say. I don't recall Blackpool, Bury, Burnley, Preston or any others I've missed doing that well?:okay:

postman

Legendary Member
I do begrudgingly admire the pride Yorkshire folk take in their home county. It is darn beautiful even if it does rain ALL THE TIME.

(My husband - boyfriend at the time - lured me up to live in Leeds by taking me to Rounday Park on a glorious sunny day, feeding me cake and driving me to the Dales. I agreed, moved to Leeds and didn't see the sun again for six years.)
The Sun is a rubbish paper anyway.

I do begrudgingly admire the pride Yorkshire folk take in their home county. It is darn beautiful even if it does rain ALL THE TIME.

(My husband - boyfriend at the time - lured me up to live in Leeds by taking me to Rounday Park on a glorious sunny day, feeding me cake and driving me to the Dales. I agreed, moved to Leeds and didn't see the sun again for six years.)
you were lucky.
I have the idea that Lancashire, better than Yorkshire as it is, has more rain?
Because it's more westerley? Prevailing winds over oceans?

About as many as Lancashire teams I'd say. I don't recall Blackpool, Bury, Burnley, Preston or any others I've missed doing that well?:okay:
Lancashire was of course a hotbed for what I gather some (not me - lost interest years ago) call the beautiful game. And from there took over the world. Take a look at early FA cup records. London is a bit of a johnny come lately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom