Yorkshire's Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I do begrudgingly admire the pride Yorkshire folk take in their home county. It is darn beautiful even if it does rain ALL THE TIME.

(My husband - boyfriend at the time - lured me up to live in Leeds by taking me to Rounday Park on a glorious sunny day, feeding me cake and driving me to the Dales. I agreed, moved to Leeds and didn't see the sun again for six years.)
Grandson starts at Roundhay Park " Big School " in September. We've not been able to visit Leeds for a while due to the Plague, hopefully soon as I'm hankering for a visit to Northern Monk Tap room ( and North Brewery ) 🍺🍺

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you were born in Leeds you can say what you like about the place... if not you can't. Wakefield on the other hand...

classic33

Leg End Member
I do begrudgingly admire the pride Yorkshire folk take in their home county. It is darn beautiful even if it does rain ALL THE TIME.

(My husband - boyfriend at the time - lured me up to live in Leeds by taking me to Rounday Park on a glorious sunny day, feeding me cake and driving me to the Dales. I agreed, moved to Leeds and didn't see the sun again for six years.)
It's not raining in this part of the West Riding.

You're certain it were Leeds, not foreign parts?

T4tomo

Legendary Member

The sun always shines in Yorkshire, but seriously with prevailing winds from the west, the eastern side of the country is drier than the west. Albeit Leeds is reasonably far West in Yorkshire so it probably is more like rainy Manchester than sunny Scarborough.

A bit of evidence....
1627553839096.png

lazybloke

Considering a new username

I spent a few years in Leeds; the frequent trips out into the Dales and Moors remain some of my fondest memories; well worth a bit of rainfall :rain::rain:🌈 :sun:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Born and bred in Yorkshire here... YCCC and Boro fan too! And yes, I also call them Dirty Leeds :laugh:
I was on a train (eurostar i think) when my kids were quite young, chatting to the people on the adjacent seats (father & young lad) football was mentioned and the father said something about supporting Leeds, my son piped up "we call them Dirty Leeds in our house". I just smiled!:laugh:

Archie_tect

The sun always shines in Yorkshire, but seriously with prevailing winds from the west, the eastern side of the country is drier than the west. Albeit Leeds is reasonably far West in Yorkshire so it probably is more like rainy Manchester than sunny Scarborough.

A bit of evidence....
View attachment 601501
Out, go on, out!!
..."like Manchester" indeed... I'll have you know that I was born in Leeds and I only went over the moor to Manchester twice in 50 years, and one of them was for my son's university interview [the other was because I had to go there because we visited a theatre production which was a set play for my O-levels]... no, I don't know what he was thinking either. He chose Birmingham instead- but then he was born a Geordie [in Newcastle General] so he's not been 'tuned' to the Yorkshire homing frequency, and he's only half Yorkshire... poor lad.

Archie_tect

I was on a train (eurostar i think) when my kids were quite young, chatting to the people on the adjacent seats (father & young lad) football was mentioned and the father said something about supporting Leeds, my son piped up "we call them Dirty Leeds in our house". I just smiled!:laugh:
I blame Norman 'bites your legs' Hunter... the others were saints... well, apart from Jack [the ball might get past him but the player wouldn't]

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Out, go on, out!!
..."like Manchester" indeed... I'll have you know that I was born in Leeds and I only went to Manchester twice in 50 years, and one of them was for my son's university interview [the other was because I had to go there because we visited a theatre production which was a set play for my O-levels]... no, I don't know what he was thinking either. He chose Birmingham instead- but then he was born a Geordie [in Newcastle General] so he's not been 'tuned' to the Yorkshire homing frequency, and he's only half Yorkshire... poor lad.
Calm down fella, I was talking meteorologically "like"... My son has gone to Manc uni:wacko:

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I love the way that the various Yorkshire factions are quite derogatory about Leeds - understandably so to my mind

Leeds is a fantastic vibrant city, pre covid we spent a weekend in Manchester which is also a fantastic vibrant city but do the ever clean up? the litter in Manchester seems to be on another level.

Top Bottom