You can't choose your family....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Comisserations Maggot. I too have, with a few honourable exceptions, the close family from h*ll. On the plus side, it can teach you how *not* to be a parent and to value friendships.

wafflycat

Dayvo said:
There aren`t too many with whom I wouldn`t share a beer. ;)

I'll raise a glass to that sentiment!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have recently phoned one of my brothers to very sorrily and apologetically explain that I will not be able to attend his Party in May,
It would be near his 65th birthday. He lives in Newcastle and I live near Worcester. A journey of approx 250 miles? I currently could not sit in a car for that long. So wonderful a brother is he that he did not say anything like "I am sorry that you are not well enough to travel that far".
or anything remotely sympathetic. ;) In fact he was so busy, we only talked for about two mins.

I think I will stick with my "new" and "virtual" brothers. Some of which I might meet at a certain Cycling Show. Yes I can get there, because I will be travelling by train, not driving.

curve

I swear that I am adopted as I am nothing like the dysfunctional maniacs that the rest of my family seem to be composed of. :grin:

Mortiroloboy

Keith Oates said:
Not really answering your question Maggot, but for me Mum and Dad could not be substituted by anyone. However the list of people on here to have as brothers and sisters would be very long indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second that:smile:

Some of my closest working colleagues I think of as my brothers (they are all guys). However, if any of them were actually related to me I think we'd be a dysfunctional family (that means you FM, lol!).
Most of you seem nice people but I imagine that you see me as a bit of a scary woman!

ChrisKH

Guru
I feel your pain Maggot. I went through a period in my youth wishing I had been an only child! Not helped by my mother telling me I wasn't one of hers but found under a bush. Not the sort of thing you tell a six year old IMO, even as a joke.

Harder still to bring up your own kids and getting them to like and support one another knowing one day you will be gone and wanting them to be able to rely on each other in your absence.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
simonali said:

That is a very good idea. The Captain is based in Gloucestershire, I could get permission for him to land in the field behind my house, pick up my mother in Coventry. We could land on the nearest roundabout, just in front of the Police Station, so the Police men won't have far to go to control the traffic. Hop up to Newcastle. Mum will stay at my brother's house, and the Captain and I will find somewhere to stay the night. :biggrin::biggrin:
Excellent idea, could be a tad expensive tho' ;).

BTW you did not join until January, and this photo was posted last October, you must have been very keen to see what we all looked like. :tongue:

longers

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Most of you seem nice people but I imagine that you see me as a bit of a scary woman!

:tongue:

Not scary at all, really*. Must try harder ;).

*some of your trail riding scares me though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm touched by those of you who would like me as a mother, consider yourselves adopted. A little worried, Buggi, that you think the first result of a union between me and Patrick would be bonj, but there you go...

I'm very happy with the family I have, so I wouldn't replace them, but it would be fun to have a brother or two, and I think top contenders at the moment would be The Doctor and tdr1nka, just from the evidence of the Tea? thread.:smile:

Top Bottom