You couldn't make it up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Archie_tect said:
They were originally introduced to be only used when a child was in the car so that if there was an emergency the fire brigade and police would know to get a child out safely [say if it was on fire or mangled in a crash]. But as parents tend to just leave them in the window all the time it negates the value of them.

Interesting - I thought they were introduced as a deterrent to people driving too close.

They really are pointless though. Even more useless are the "Dog in car" or "Best Dad Ever in car" but then maybe I'm just bitter...

carsticker.jpg

byegad

Legendary Member
Kaipaith said:
Interesting - I thought they were introduced as a deterrent to people driving too close.

Given the average myopic driver they surely act as a reason to close up so they can read what it says?

The Dogs one has a variant which reads 'Show dogs on board.' This a real clue that the driver in front is a numpty.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Typo said:
Does anyone sell small self-adhesive (preferably superglued) stickers saying "Idiot parent driving" to fit just below the "on board" bit? :tongue:

I like that idea. They could be produced on the same production line as my idea - a roll of sellotape printed with a bike tyre tread to stick up and over any car parked in a cycle lane (so as to look as if the bike just carried on over it...)

I bet the lady in the OP thinks she's a very good driver. By contrast, my sister, who doesn't drive often, took us out last week twice (in the Beamer, so here's one stereotype busted...) and her driving was very good indeed, very smooth and careful, but not dawdling. And she was saying she hoped it was ok, and she thought she needed more practice. I've always felt that the drivers to be afraid of are the mones who think they have nothing more to learn....

Well done CP, for avoiding her idiocy.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I used to think they are a bad idea, but then realised they do have a small but useful effect after seeing how driver reactions changed towards me when I had a child seat on the back of my bike. Same happens in cars.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Worrying post further down that page (not the Snopes one, one before that. Damn, I'm too lazy to quote)

"I have a baby on board sign in the back window of my jeep as I'm always carrying my 8mnth old baby girl in it, my intention with the sign is just to alert other drivers to be more cautious when travelling behind me, but on the other hand my jeep should be big and strong enough built to keep my baby safe but if ever there is an occasion that a careless driver runs into me injuring my daughter he/she better hope they themselves die as I will sure as hell get out and finish the job!!!!!! BABY ON BOARD!"

I must learn to stop worrying about nutters on the internet though, there's never any end to it.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Twanger said:
In the heathen, but bijou, wastes of Crystal Palace, taste runs more towards "Princess on Board" signs.

And that's just the baby boys!!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
palinurus said:
Worrying post further down that page (not the Snopes one, one before that. Damn, I'm too lazy to quote)

"I have a baby on board sign in the back window of my jeep as I'm always carrying my 8mnth old baby girl in it, my intention with the sign is just to alert other drivers to be more cautious when travelling behind me, but on the other hand my jeep should be big and strong enough built to keep my baby safe but if ever there is an occasion that a careless driver runs into me injuring my daughter he/she better hope they themselves die as I will sure as hell get out and finish the job!!!!!! BABY ON BOARD!"

I must learn to stop worrying about nutters on the internet though, there's never any end to it.

T'funny thing is that I didn't think Jeeps did too well on the NCAP tests. She certainly won't want one running into her precious when she's a couple of years older.

The selfish B***h

Top Bottom