You couldn't make it up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
On my ride to work a black 4x4 tries to overtake me at a pinch point, but has to pull back in. Then there is a short double white lined run to the next pinch point and a roundabout (50-80m). I signal right, but the 4x4 is now alongside, and moving left (where I am) so I cover the brakes and slot in behind it. She (blond mum-child on board) turns right onto the same road as me.

There are cars parked both sides and a sharp/blind left hand bend ahead. A van pulling a trailer is negotiating the bend. Mum in 4x4 drives up to it. Stops, (no room to get round bend) and has to reverse up - I saw it coming and left room.

After this she goes round the bend and more cars are parked. A delivery van is coming through the gap. Yes, she goes for it. Has to stop (again) and reverse up again. I saw it and was well clear of her reversing.

The van passes and then she sets off at speed (30 limit - residential & school kids walking along) and pulls up on the yellow zig-zags outside the village primary school.

As I am turning into work I see her getting out of the car, and she has to duck back in and shut the door as a passing car almost took it off it's hinges.

5 avoidable 'incidents' in less than 1/4 mile.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well? It's a black 4x4. She's indestructible innit.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Highest speed recorded by a 30mph speed camera in Gosforth [expensive suburb in Newcastle] was 'in excess of' 90mph by a mother as she 'was a bit late getting her children to school'; fined and banned by the magistrate he criticised her for excessive speed where school children had to cross a busy dual carriageway with crossings, parked cars and a school lollipop patrol.

I've just got a new job. The work area is supplied by "yummie mummies" from the outlying districts.
30mph is a discretionary target. Hell hath no fury between >>>

Yummy mummy > School run > Other commuters > High powered accounting job.

There is no reasoning with them (I will try over the next 6 months).

darkstar

Her and the child are both safe in the chelsea tractor, we get a huge line of them in or village everyday, i frequently have cycled past them, nearly being hit by a opening car door. I hate the way they only think about their child though, yes they are safe in an accident situation, but what about the family in the average hatchback, who can't afford a Range Rover?

safety1st_baby_on_board_sign_z.jpg

Typo

Does anyone sell small self-adhesive (preferably superglued) stickers saying "Idiot parent driving" to fit just below the "on board" bit? :hyper:

purplepolly

Typo said:
Does anyone sell small self-adhesive (preferably superglued) stickers saying "Idiot parent driving" to fit just below the "on board" bit? :blush:

not necessary - that's what the "baby on board" actually means.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
They were originally introduced to be only used when a child was in the car so that if there was an emergency the fire brigade and police would know to get a child out safely [say if it was on fire or mangled in a crash]. But as parents tend to just leave them in the window all the time it negates the value of them.

purplepolly

Archie_tect said:
They were originally introduced to be only used when a child was in the car so that if there was an emergency the fire brigade and police would know to get a child out safely [say if it was on fire or mangled in a crash]. But as parents tend to just leave them in the window all the time it negates the value of them.

I saw a bit of one of those documentaries about traffic police - one of them was talking about finding a crashed car at night with an unconscious female driver, open doors and a baby on board sign. They spent about two hours searching for the baby, which he described as the most harrowing two hours of his life, before they found out that the child was with a grandparent. Should be illegal to leave them on when there's no child in the car.

Top Bottom