You fat tyred tosspot!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
It's a race, Roadie takes MTB'er, MTBer takes Roadie, Roadie takes MTB'er, MTBer takes Roadie, Roadiet akes MTB'er, MTBer takes Roadie, Roadie takes MTB'er, MTBer takes Roadie........traffic backs up at lights, no room to over or undertake said traffic and the fat tyred tosser hops on to the pavement down the street and across the ped crossing through the underpass and back on to the road on the other side of the lights :biggrin:

If that was you on the Cov road in Sheldon you're a tosser...race if you want to race but don't spoil it by becoming a ped on a bike and riding on the pavement just so you can "win". I may have been stuck at the lights but you're the one that gave cyclists a bad name today when you wussed out and chose the pavement.

Cab

He could argue that because he's on a mountain bike, his ride is better suited to going up and down from the pavement than your road bike.

He'd be an idiot if he argued that, bypassing lights like that is inexcusable... Just saying that he could make that point.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
not a good way to win. I just go past too fast for them to latch on...... on my mtb...... Outran a few road bikes recently (i am a roadie just use a semi slicked mtb for commuting. Do hate it when they start taking risks like that, there is a guy an a hybrid on my run that does a bit of that.

U

User482

I was racing one recently who got past by cutting me up at a roundabout. Thing was, I was in good shape as I'd only recently done LEJOG so it was very amusing watching him trying to keep up once I went past him again.

gazzaputt

Hey I had exactly the same today.

So if you were the MTB rider witha full face helmet who jumped the pavement, through the red light at kennington Oval and out the otherside you lost by default.

Tetedelacourse

No I don't either;

1. Not many other cyclists on my route
2. I'm usually going as fast as I think I can go anyway so if they pass me they're gone. For this reason I am very cautious about overtaking someone else.
3. It all sounds a bit w@nk.

Cab

Tetedelacourse said:
No I don't either;

1. Not many other cyclists on my route
2. I'm usually going as fast as I think I can go anyway so if they pass me they're gone. For this reason I am very cautious about overtaking someone else.
3. It all sounds a bit w@nk.

Thats pretty much my assesment too! I'll also add that theres little point racing from one set of traffic lights or one junction to the next one on my route. Odds are you'll just end up stuck in traffic anyway.

U

User482

Cab said:
So am I the only person who doesn't find himself racing other cyclists then?

I never initiate a race, but as the "competition" invariably jumps the lights, I often end up overtaking them again down the road.

Cab

User482 said:
I never initiate a race, but as the "competition" invariably jumps the lights, I often end up overtaking them again down the road.

Thats a familiar tune :biggrin:

I don't make a particular point of overtaking RLJ's, but it does always seem to happen.

U

User482

Cab said:
Thats a familiar tune :biggrin:

I don't make a particular point of overtaking RLJ's, but it does always seem to happen.

Which brings me back to wondering why they bother - they could cycle a fair bit quicker, lose a few pounds, have a rest at the lights and not pee off motorists, pedestrians & me. Everyone's a winner!

Cab

User482 said:
Which brings me back to wondering why they bother - they could cycle a fair bit quicker, lose a few pounds, have a rest at the lights and not pee off motorists, pedestrians & me. Everyone's a winner!

I've pondered the same thing. You see people who by rights should be fit enough to go at a half decent pace plod along through red lights, when they could get where they're going faster and legally if they'd just work on their basic speed. Heck, just learning to use their gears properly would get them half way there.

Membrane

Cab said:
So am I the only person who doesn't find himself racing other cyclists then?

I ride against myself mostly. If I get onto a bike I want to push it. I sometimes set out on a ride intending to take it easy, it rarely works. I usually end up giving it welly, it is part of why I enjoy cycling.

If I tried to speed up to chase or keep up with someone else I'd probably blow up later into the ride because I ride not far from my maximum. On the occasions that another cyclist overtakes me (fortunately rare exept on serious climbs) I don't try to cling on.

Top Bottom