You just cant help some people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
I have this colleague who has gone through several crappy BSO during the time we have worked together. Then finally as his latest pile of pooh was starting to fall apart I started to show him interesting bikes. To my delight he fell in love with the Pashley Sovereign saying with the rack and mudguards its perfect for commuting in style. After a few weeks of constantly going on about it he finally ordered one.

So 13 or 14wks later it arrived and it was truly a thing of beauty. He was glowing with pride and seemed in love. But then he got some hub gear slippage which his LBS sorted immediately. Again he was happy and on Monday morning he arrived at work saying how good it was. I noticed a couple little things which just needed a quick adjustment but nothing serious. On Tuesday it was a bag o shite and the Pashley brand was rubbish. Apparently he was getting some slippage issues again and a rubbing noise and then there were all those problems I had to fix. What was going to go wrong next he said. I just cant rely on it and I must be able to he said. The rubbing btw was just a little adjustment of the rear mudguard which he refused to let me touch. Also he lives about 3 or 4mls away and has a newish car :rolleyes:

I tried to argue these were just niggles, its hand built and its a bike not a car which could cost thousands if it went wrong. Nope it was dead to him and he was getting his money back. And he did just that. I again started showing him similar interesting replacements but he went into his local Halfords and ordered a Boardman hybrid, which he moaned about the first morning as it had no mudguards and his ass got wet. He then found out he couldnt fit full mudguards :rolleyes:

Oh im a fair weather cyclist he said the next morning as he arrived the next morning. In his car :rolleyes:^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a customer who did 6 miles a day on an £85 mtb for over 6 years.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have to say if I'd paid £800 for a bike that promised (according to Pashley's website) "5 or 8 speed...fully enclosed gear system that requires minimal maintenance" and it went wrong within four or five months and then, having been fixed, went wrong again, I think I might feel a bit aggrieved too.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My first bike in Denmark was one I got out of a skip. I rode it nearly every day on my 20km commute for 2 years. I then gave it to my father in law who still rides it. He is 87. I gave it to him 15 years ago.

I think we have got value out of it 😁

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Slight drizzle this morning 7 or 8 degrees. He arrived in his car :smile:

To be fair not a bad guy but its cathartic writing this. I guarantee if I arrive in my car and he has ridden in he will come in to the office and say "didnt fancy riding in today then".

Have to say if I'd paid £800 for a bike that promised (according to Pashley's website) "5 or 8 speed...fully enclosed gear system that requires minimal maintenance" and it went wrong within four or five months and then, having been fixed, went wrong again, I think I might feel a bit aggrieved too.
shoot happens. You could buy a £40k beamer and still have to take it back twice in a month. It's too expensive to make things that NEVER go wrong.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
So he came in the office today and told me his Pashley was in the window of the LBS and that they were selling it as a defective bike. That they still had not fixed it and the gears wont be working. I asked him how he knew that and he said well it looks like the mudguard is still not fixed. It wasnt broken or anything by the way it was just rubbing a little and needed a bit of adjustment.

OMG !!

As I said on balance not a bad bloke he always gives his old bikes away to charity and he plays in the sally army band.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I for one understand exactly where your colleague is coming from. It's irrational, looks daft to others and makes little if any sense but I know how he feels.

It doesn't happen very often but sometimes if something doesn't immediately match my expectations or goes wrong very soon after buying it I'll write it off as utter garbage and nothing will persuade me otherwise.

Like I say utterly irrational but I know the feeling.

Top Bottom