You just can't make it up....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So his latest claims....
He is going to pick up the car Friday apparently but its been damaged by the recovery or storage company (i don't know how he knows this , i would'nt have thought you'd get 1 inch beyond the gates of these places)...so now he want to know how he can claim for the damage...'the car was perfect in every way when they took it'...apparently :tongue:. Yet most cars he drives (the last 3 i have seen) are old and well used. Miraculously, this one was 'in perfect condition'

Also he is claiming foul by the Police officer that originally stopped him. 'She did not tell me her name or give me her badge number so she did not follow procedure'
Now its a long time since i was stopped by the Police but they certainly didn't announce themselves...along the line of, 'Good afternooon, i am PC Pamela Blenkinsopp, badge number 999, can i talk to you about your driving sir'
I tried to tell him it doesnt work like that but he's not having any...meh, perhaps i'm wrong ?

Perhaps i am behind times but the badge number is displayed, you can ask the officers name i would think and her information should be on the paperwork. IMO he's deluded, wrong or just trying to worm his way out...i suspect.

TBH. if he wasnt a colleague and fairly personable in many other ways...i'd think he was a d1ck and would be unlikely to have anything to do with him :laugh:

I always enjoyed listening to people who have their own interpretation of laws, police procedures and what is acceptable conduct. Many of it learned from watching American TV shows.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
While you obviously can't take the car away, they may well allow you to get items you had left in it. Never having been in this situation, I don't know, but that seems likely.

He will have to prove (on the balance of probabilities) that they damaged it to have any chance of success in a claim against them.

Which sounds unlikely.
There was a TV program a while ago which I saw on YouTube. It was about a car recovery firm that worked mainly for the Police. They do indeed allow you to remove belongings from the impounded car. A picture is taken of the car as it's recovered to stop people claiming it's been damaged by the recovery company.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Talking to him, you realise, his view on how things should work is just plain warped.
He asks questions that question almost every accepted and proper way the Police conduct themselves, searching for gaps, for get outs.
He's been deported to Lithuania to answer charges of document forgery, he's had cars impounded before, he's been done for no insurprance before, he runs a car on engine oil which means it cannot surely meet emissions standards and is perhaps one of the most polluting cars in the area, he likes watching videos on how to make your own stun gun, that kind of thing. The litany of carp he tells us just goes on and on. Its just warped, rules don't apply to him.
Its a 5 series BMW btw, 1993 and by the photos he's shown me is a really nice condition car, he's done a lot of work on it and it means something to him. But we have both told him...why don't you just do things the right way, it'd be a lot less stressful...and expensive.
But no, I think he's one of these guys just just can't tell or help.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Talking to him, you realise, his view on how things should work is just plain warped.
He asks questions that question almost every accepted and proper way the Police conduct themselves, searching for gaps, for get outs.
He's been deported to Lithuania to answer charges of document forgery, he's had cars impounded before, he's been done for no insurprance before, he runs a car on engine oil which means it cannot surely meet emissions standards and is perhaps one of the most polluting cars in the area, he likes watching videos on how to make your own stun gun, that kind of thing. The litany of carp he tells us just goes on and on. Its just warped, rules don't apply to him.
Its a 5 series BMW btw, 1993 and by the photos he's shown me is a really nice condition car, he's done a lot of work on it and it means something to him. But we have both told him...why don't you just do things the right way, it'd be a lot less stressful...and expensive.
But no, I think he's one of these guys just just can't tell or help.
Sounds like a lovely guy :smile:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Looking at two of our fairly new colleafues...
One has/had a relatively old BMW, currently has an even older Astra. My third colleague (not one of these two) says on his way home, this Astra always passes him on the A1 like a scolded cat, must be doing 90mph , foot to the floor every time. Recently same guy got 5, yes 5 speeding tickets in one day :eek: . He seems to have got away with it for now because he has a Polish licence...I sincerely hope not for the publics sake. Within days, he got stopped by site security , for driving too fast through the estate so he's not learning At some stage he let a friend borrow his BMW, who promptly lost control and put it through a neighbours fence. Not insured, colleague had to pay for repairs to fence.
He's a nice fella to talk to but his driving standards and style is unbelievable.

They're nice guys in many ways, very personable, interesting but Jesus...if they worked half as hard doing it right instead if wrong, they'd be better off and the roads would be a lot safer.
Disaster seems to follow them at every corner....:laugh:

Well an update. He got fined over £1000 plus 11 points on his licence.
I guess they gave him a bit of leeway because no license, he can't get to work 20 miles away.

Jameshow

Veteran
Some people are wired up differently.

They have no perception of organisation and time management, whilst others are so anxious they worry about every little detail to the extent they cannot make an progress in life.

Most of us are somewhere in the middle.

Obviously the law has boundaries to protect everyone and tbh the police are quite tolerant, they don't want stuff to escalate and make arrests resulting in a days paperwork.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom