You just can't win.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
It was my son's 5th birthday yesterday. Daddy went out on a limb and bought him a Beinn 20 (Islabike). Paid extra for the nice colour decals.

"I'm not riding that Dad" he said "it's mauve. Don't they do blue?" :smile:

On a point of principle I'm not removing them. And he will ride it.

Five years old and knows what mauve is? Is your wife Laurence Llewellyn Bowen by any chance?

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
I swear he said mauve; it's a common enough word in our house. I'll test him tonight and if he actually said purple I will print an apology. I come on here looking for some sympathy and what do I get? A discussion about the colour mauve and whether it's within a five year old's vocab/knowledge.

You couldn't make it up.:smile:

Well ChrisKH jr has less grounds for objection if it was just the decals than if it was the whole bike, owing to less of the object being 'mauve', and they can be easily removed with a hairdryer, so then he has no grounds to complain.

I went for the no stickers option, in fact he picked it. I've now been stung into buying him another bike more suitable for trails 'cause his brothers getting one. So rather than sympathy, count yourself lucky, it could be worse!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If you read the Islabike webpage it says the decals can be taken off.
So nab the money for the decals out of his birthday money and take them off.

I'm 16 and only heard the word mauve, but havent really got a clue of what the colour really is.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
I have to apologise, he called it purple when I got home and yes, it's just the decals and they can be removed but then the bike would be fairly plain with no writing. I'm leaving them on; he can walk.:tongue:

ChrisKH said:
I have to apologise, he called it purple when I got home and yes, it's just the decals and they can be removed but then the bike would be fairly plain with no writing. I'm leaving them on; he can walk.:ohmy:

Nah! It's got the normal one's underneath. I think it actually looks quite nice in the flesh, better than in the piccy. Still, if he wants them off, it'll cost him £20! I got the rack and mudguards on mine as well - well not mine, I'm too big, I mean my sons of course :tongue: :tongue:

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Crackle said:
Nah! It's got the normal one's underneath. I think it actually looks quite nice in the flesh, better than in the piccy. Still, if he wants them off, it'll cost him £20! I got the rack and mudguards on mine as well - well not mine, I'm too big, I mean my sons of course :tongue: :tongue:

Oh that's great (apart from being £20 worse off). At first sight I thought they were the only decals on there. Cheers.

ChrisKH said:
I swear he said mauve; it's a common enough word in our house. I'll test him tonight and if he actually said purple I will print an apology. I come on here looking for some sympathy and what do I get? A discussion about the colour mauve and whether it's within a five year old's vocab/knowledge.

You couldn't make it up.:tongue:

Did he really say "sympathy"? That's a big word for a five year old.

Top Bottom