You know when you do something daft without thinking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Ok , Im guilty, it was my fault getting you distracted and daydreaming and about that 7G + Gazzele pic i posted !!

Tin Pot

Guru
Da daaaaaa....
View attachment 342136
Well the thumb is fractured and the teeth punctured my nail plate which means I have to go and see a plastic surgeon on Tuesday.
Didn't get any worthwhile painkillers boohoo.

Make good use of your new Comedy Hand while you can.

1. Hailing taxis
2. Attracting the barmaid
3. Shopping for gloves
4. Single arm swim races
5. Polishing the table in a single swipe
6. Standing in for the Pie Eating Goalkeeper at the FA cup final

×××BEWARE THE SQUEAMISH×××

Google "how NOT to clean your chain GSX-R".

Short story, it involves a motorcycle in gear on a paddock stand with the engine running, a towel and an unlucky hand..
Well, the engine wasn't running but I did do it with a motorcycle. I lost all the nail on my thumb. Not all at once. It was falling off for a few days after. Slightly painful, not something I can recommend but on the plus side; I've never done it again.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Waiting room at tommy's...
IMAG1779.jpg

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Don't be an idiot when you're cleaning a fixed gear chain and if you're squeamish don't look at this...
IMAG1781.jpg
Frustratingly the plastics dept at Tommy's hadn't received the xray from Lewisham which meant I've spent the day waiting around for more pics to be taken. It means I'll have to go back tomorrow to have the nail removed and the plate repaired.
I don't fancy my chances of repairing a roadside puncture for a wee while

Tin Pot

Guru
Don't be an idiot when you're cleaning a fixed gear chain and if you're squeamish don't look at this...
Frustratingly the plastics dept at Tommy's hadn't received the xray from Lewisham which meant I've spent the day waiting around for more pics to be taken. It means I'll have to go back tomorrow to have the nail removed and the plate repaired.

Ow.

zigzag

Veteran
i had chainring teeth go through my nail when i was a noob, ended up at tommy's too. the procedure involved (without any anaesthetics) burning two holes through the nail with a red hot paper clip and disinfecting the damaged area underneath the nail by squirting antibacterial liquid from a syringe with a broken-off needle (while pressed into each hole in the nail). it all looked a bit medieval, but both i and the nail survived with hardly any trace ;)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've done the chain/ finger thing too, albeit only a glancing blow. For this kind of thing the red hot paper clip to burn the nail letting the blood out is instant and easy pain relief.

After a long period of not really hurting myself managed to catch the wrong end of a dropped soldering iron last week.

D

Deleted member 1258

Looks like you did a better job than I did, what annoyed me was I'd done it before a few years ago so knew what not to do but still managed to do it.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Well, I had the op earlier today and heard the word 'laceration' a few more times than I needed. I have this strange compulsion to tell you all about it but I wouldn't read on if you're a bit squeamish.
I was chatting to the surgeon as the work was done - three injections of the local realy works huh? - and was told the teeth had actually cut through the bone. They took the nail off and then stitched up the nail bed to cover the bone again. I could see that two teeth had gone through. Fracture should heal in about five weeks and the nail will grow back in a couple of months. The first growth will be rough looking, possibly the second too but hopefully third time lovely.
I'm not getting a lot of pain but it's annoying not being able to use the right thumb. It'll make working on the bike tricky but riding it has been absolutely fine.
Allow me to indulge with a pic of the x-ray but I'll put a spoiler around the more gruesome shot of the nail-less thumb. Gore fans can zoom in for the full effect.
IMAG1791.jpg

This one behind the spoiler is a bit gory...
IMAG1790-1.jpg

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
The thumb's healing up fine and one of the good things about this sorry story is the litany of finger mishap tales that've come my way.

First thing to say is 'blenders, saws and bicycles' for that's what the nurse in plastics and hand emergencies told me when I asked her what causes her the most work. So rest assured fixed wheelers, alongside cooks and carpenters you're helping to keep this NHS specialty in business.

A colleague showed me her scarred finger the other day telling me she'd taken the tip off whilst chopping for a stir fry. For the sake of the story it would've been great had the offending digit ended up flash fried in the wok but happily for her it was rescued and now she has almost 100% feeling back although it's slightly withered.

Today, a bike mechanic told me about his childhood bmx crew and how his mate had come off attempting some mad skillz or other and lost a significant chunk of finger. I mean they couldn't find it anywhere. You can imagine the panic. They got the poor lad home where his mother located the missing joint wedged inside the bar end which should be a salutary lesson to us all about bar end caps.

For the faintless of heart and the sake of my thumb diary I enclose the latest picture within a spoiler. Pink skin is starting to grow over the naked nail bed and although it looks a bit soggy this is only because it took about half a litre of saline solution to soak the stuck dressing off.
IMAG1810.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom