You know you've been dicking with your phone too much

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
(My Android phone started misbehaving, the soft buttons didn't work then after a reboot I could no longer connect to WiFi or phone network. I took the nuclear option and did a factory reset, but then couldn't get past the first screen. I had softbricked my phone. Due to the age, original cost and (unrelated) damage to the case, I couldn't justify paying for a repair. If I couldn't fix it, it meant a new phone. I started trawling the web for fixes, but they tended to need settings that could only be done when the phone was fully restarted. I became a bit of an expert on android ROM and rooting and bootloader. Finally found a solution. Blah blah blah)

That was Friday and yesterday.

Today I see a thread, in a cycling site I hasten to emphasise, Nexus 7 maintenance advice please, and my immediate reaction is, "oh, the Google tablet! I might be able to help"

:wacko:

Of course it was the Shimano hub. Doh! More pedalling less nerding for me.

Adam4868

Guru
Do.tell as my phone is driving me nuts !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today I see a thread, in a cycling site I hasten to emphasise, Nexus 7 maintenance advice please, and my immediate reaction is, "oh, the Google tablet! I might be able to help"

:wacko:

Of course it was the Shimano hub. Doh! More pedalling less nerding for me.
Oh - I haven't been in there yet, and I had assumed the same thing as you! :laugh:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I had on a Star Trek toboggan and from just the one side the guy at the LBS thought I was advertising my bike brand! He told me he liked my hat so I thanked him and asked him which series his favorite was as I always liked Next Gen... and his blank look told me all :laugh: I then turned so he could read the whole thing.

I had on a Star Trek toboggan and from just the one side the guy at the LBS thought I was advertising my bike brand! He told me he liked my hat so I thanked him and asked him which series his favorite was as I always liked Next Gen... and his blank look told me all :laugh: I then turned so he could read the whole thing.
This confused me for a second, but luckily I wasted some time on youtube the other day

View: https://youtu.be/mQ_KOvXIaE0?t=85

(I'm Australian, but out of touch, so didn't recognise every bit of Aussie slang on it)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Interesting that you should mention this now. I've only just realised that mine (Galaxy S7) has been playing up a bit since the system update a couple of weeks ago. it seems a lot slower, buttons don't respond as quickly, and the keypad is not very accurate anymore. Perhaps this is another ruse to initiate new purchases, just like the Apple crew did when the new iphone was coming out?

Could just be coincidence.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't they say that phones slow down as they age to prolong the battery life?

Interesting that you should mention this now. I've only just realised that mine (Galaxy S7) has been playing up a bit since the system update a couple of weeks ago. it seems a lot slower, buttons don't respond as quickly, and the keypad is not very accurate anymore. Perhaps this is another ruse to initiate new purchases, just like the Apple crew did when the new iphone was coming out?

Could just be coincidence.
A proper upgrade, like from Marshmallow to Nougat? I hesitate to say given my troubles above, but it probably needs a factory reset. It was essential when I upgraded to Marshmallow. A lot of things change under the bonnet, and they try to make work but there is usually things that aren't right.

Remember that it basically wipes your phone, so even with the best will in the world you will lose something (I lost all my period tracker data :girldance:), but if your phone is misbehaving it's worth the pain.

Svendo

Guru
Don't they say that phones slow down as they age to prolong the battery life?
When Apple were defending their update that slowed older phones they said one risk it helped avoid was the phone crashing as the older battery couldn’t supply sufficient current anymore.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When Apple were defending their update that slowed older phones they said one risk it helped avoid was the phone crashing as the older battery couldn’t supply sufficient current anymore.
It would have only delayed the risk, rather than avoiding it! The way to avoid it would be to monitor the battery condition and pop up a warning when it was time to recharge it, or get it replaced.

I have never had an Android phone or tablet crash on me because of battery failure.

Top Bottom