"You made me undertake you..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes I had an idiot on my way back from dropping my son at a local club... all 500 m or so away. He had to overtake even though the road immediately ahead was narrowed by parked cars on one side and with a car coming towards him. He immediately slammed on the brakes after overtaking ... and then drove to the junction where he had to wait to turn right and me going left was able to go before he did.

I doubt they notice their idiocy and how often it doesn't get them an advantage ... just a raised blood pressure.

Dan B

Disengaged member
JRAB said:
Unfortunately drivers see horses as good and cyclists as bad. Anything we can do to help drivers see us as "horses" (if you get my drift) will help.
So we need to be taller, more upper-class, and embody a greater threat of violence. Leaving steaming turds all over the road might not be a bad idea either

Don't forget to make up a horses bum to fit on the back of the bike. Roadies should make it out of carbon fibre, traditionalists can use paper-mâché.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The main difference between a horse and a cyclist is that if you hit a cyclist he bounces off. Hitting a horse will do a shed load of damage to your pride and joy, and probably kill you.

JRAB

I'd like to see a video of the next 20 seconds or so - when they actually get on and try to ride away. I have a feeling that might be quite funny....

Richard.

JRAB said:
Some people I know might just get away with pinning a tail on their lycra shorts....

Ponytail?:sad:

jezhiggins

Kestevan said:
The main difference between a horse and a cyclist is that if you hit a cyclist he bounces off. Hitting a horse will do a shed load of damage to your pride and joy, and probably kill you.

A friend of mine had someone drive, at some speed, into the back of her horse. The road was flat, and almost dead straight. It was midday, and it was bright and sunny. It was really quiet remarkable that nobody was killed, and the horse, which was pretty smashed up, did eventually recover fully.

You know what the driver said?

"I didn't see you."

JRAB

Kestevan said:

Don't you just love psychology - "I'm all right Jack"....

Biggest issue here is getting drivers to see us not as "cyclists" but as "people with jobs and families", and understanding that it IS a big deal if your 2 seconds costs me a broken leg and month off work, or worse.

Richard

JRAB

jezhiggins said:
A friend of mine had someone drive, at some speed, into the back of her horse. The road was flat, and almost dead straight. It was midday, and it was bright and sunny. It was really quiet remarkable that nobody was killed, and the horse, which was pretty smashed up, did eventually recover fully.

You know what the driver said?

"I didn't see you."

That's pretty damn stupid. Glad everything was ok.

SMIDSY should be banned, replaced by SMIDLOP - Sorry Mate I Didn't LOok Properly.

Like "Sorry" covers it, anyway...!

Richard.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
hackbike 666 said:
Remember the old saying "Motons are stupid".(Not all but some)
If you assume they're stupid & idiotic you'll generally you'll only be surprised by those who don't act like morons, which is a much more pleasant experience.

In all honesty the actual 'incident' was a non-event for me, I clocked the car a long time before it actually caused me a problem, it was only the drivers piss poor road positioning which caused them an issue.

JRAB

Yeah, most of the time good observation and defensive riding (usually involving thinking of the most stupid thing a car might do, and then assuming they'll do it!!) can avoid a hazard situation becoming a problem. Do sometimes wonder how less confident or experienced cyclists would come out of a situation like that though.

Richard.

Top Bottom