"You made me undertake you..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I was riding along minding my own business when I start coming up to a road narrowing with pedestrian refuge in the middle of the road, aware of this I look over my shoulder & see a car approaching from behind & realising that they'd arrive at the narrowing about the same time as I will be I move to primary with plenty of time for them to react. The driver instead of slowing down & waiting decides to try & sneak through up the inside of me where the road is hashed, obviously there isn't enough space for both of us so has to brake & fall back. After the refuge I move back to secondary & the driver pulls along side & said "You f**king w***er, you made me undertake you then didn't let me out. Bloody idiot, learn how to ride! w***ker!" :ohmy: :ohmy: :biggrin:

He's quite right you know

This is what SHOULD have happened if you were cycling correctly.

"...I look over my shoulder & see a car approaching, so I pull to the side of the road and dismount, doffing my helmet to Mr Motor Car Driver Esq as he passes regally. After 10 hours when traffic has subsided, I continue my journey, thankful that the kind motorists allow me to use their roads when they are not using them."

The at the time Mp Colonel Moore- Brabazon was quoted in the House of Commons along the lines of:

"
7,000 people a year were being killed on the roads, ‘but it is not always going to be like that. People are getting used to new conditions.

‘Older members of the House will recollect the number of chickens we killed in the early days of motoring. We used to come back with the radiator stuffed with feathers.

‘It was the same with dogs. Dogs get out of the way of motor cars nowadays and you never kill one. There is education even in the lower animals. These things will right themselves.’

The same MP also stated:

'Why such concern over 7,000 road deaths a year?’ he demanded.

‘More than 6,000 people commit suicide every year, and nobody makes a fuss about
that.’

... and unfortunately such enlightened souls still drive vehicles in today's moden age.

Jezston

Über Member
jimboalee said:
I'm not surprised you got abused if you ride in the middle of the carriageway at 7 mph.

What kind of dick comment was that?

Read the first post again, Jimbo and keep reading it until you get it. Until then, stop posting.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
jimboalee said:
I'm not surprised you got abused if you ride in the middle of the carriageway at 720-25 mph.
There we go corrected it for you. Though what my speed has to do with someone correctly overtaking another vehicle when it is safe is another matter

HobbesChoice

Was Jimboalee being serious then? I took it as a little dig at GrasB about silly speeds as no speed was actually mentioned in the OP?

had something similiar a few weeks back GrasB, amazing that some drivers think they can justifiably blame their bad driving skills on any passing cyclist.

In my case the passing chant was 'you should have waited behind...'.

HobbesChoice

Ahh - it's clear now that it was Jimboalee driving the car! He knew the OP's speed and the reason the driver was in such a rush. There can be no other logical explanation! :biggrin:

JRAB

Obviously these guys are so busy that saving 2 seconds on their trip to the supermarket is worth risking our lives for. It never occurs to think about why you chose that position in the road, you're just an obstacle to get past ASAP, apparently with points awarded for finding the most obscure "cheeky" way past.

Riding the lanes round here I often see horses, and it constantly amazes me the difference in the way drivers treat horses and cyclists.

Horses are generally wider and much slower so cause more of an obstruction, yet you see 99% of cars patiently queueing up for ages to pass. Yet cyclists get the "must pass at all possible cost and hang the risk, can't wait even 2 seconds" attitude.

Number of times I've had cars who've had to accelerated flat out to pass in time to stop at red light / junction 30 yards away defies belief. Even more fun when it's past a parked car with oncoming traffic.

You could argue that horses get scared and spooked, but I recently (not for the first time) had a car that I didn't hear coming (winter hat!) pass me very close doing well over 60mph - I can tell you it spooked the bejeezuz out of me!!

Unfortunately drivers see horses as good and cyclists as bad. Anything we can do to help drivers see us as "horses" (if you get my drift) will help.

Richard.

Top Bottom