'You People'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brentj18

Regular
Now I will freely admit I am an oddity. I look a bit odd and I ride recumbents.
I was a little surprised when I was flagged down while riding along Southend seafront today by a woman who was looking for 'one of you people'.
I didn't take offence until I was informed that her Beaver group were doing their disability awareness badge and she needed 'one of you people' to talk to them.
I tried not to sound too indignant when I told her that I was in fact able bodied and my recumbent trike was not an adapted mobility aid.
She walked off, obviously affronted by my attitude and unwillingness to help.
Those poor kids!

Was once asked if I had a bad back because I chose to ride a recumbent, " Not at all " I replied, "I'm just bloody lazy. Also been told that it must be very tough on the back to ride in that position. My mate also accuses me of being an attention seeker. Like that's a bad thing while cycling on dangerous roads???

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm not disabled, I'm just missing a bit.
Then I'd probably gone along to explain how I lost the bit to a Tiger.

Luck ........... ^_^
My old Cub pack would have loved to hear that:okay:

[QUOTE 5524743, member: 9609"]If she's taking time out to help young people with something like scouts / cubs / beavers then I would guess she's probably a good person and give her the benefit of doubt and think to myself - she probably didn't mean it to sound like that ?[/QUOTE]

I see the point, but I think a better and rather more sensitive approach would be to contact one of the many organisations who help or advocate for people with disabilities: they'll have lists of people ready and prepared to talk to different groups. Flagging down the nearest "Disabled Person" gives the impression you are treating them as a sort of resource to be used. Just like people without disabilities there are people happy to talk in public and people who aren't.

Some people who use trikes etc due to disability have a mental or psychological disability that prevents them from driving although they have no physical disability. For them, being approached in this way can be a very unnerving experience.

I doubt she'd be too comfortable for example if a complete stranger walked up to her and said "I'm looking for a female person to talk to a group. can you do it?"

She walked off, obviously affronted by my attitude and unwillingness to help.

Surely you are in fact unable to help, being disqualified as a person with full mobility. Unwillingness has nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom