"you should be on the left!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
... was the 'excuse' of the taxi driver who dangerously cut me up turning right at this roundabout AFTER I asked him to give me a bit more room:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...oHBQBCeEY8qSFuOYjn9ntw&cbp=12,347.58,,0,25.01

I was in the right hand lane (I actually wanted to move into the middle lane to go straight on but no one would let me) and he was in the middle lane. He starts moving into my lane which I was sat in in primary. He's right next to me with his windows open so I firmly but in a friendly manner say "hey can I have a bit more room, mate?". He ignores me, and cuts me up.

I should left it there, but for the first time in about six months (and the third time ever) the red mist descended.

Caught up with him half a mile later at traffic lights and stop in front of him. Of course he's already out of his cab by then and hurling abuse at me, which I readily return. I should stay on the left he says. I tell him I can ride where I want and I was turning right, and he could have killed me just to save himself a couple of seconds seconds. He gets back in sticking fingers at me and as he drives off I tell him I hope he enjoyed being a cab driver as his career is over.

I then phone the police, explain the story and give them his license plate details. Someone's coming to visit me tomorrow morning. I suspect the officer will have a go at me for wasting their time.

For ****'s sake. Why can't I just go from A to B on a bicycle without some **** trying to kill me to save himself some time, and blame ME when this upsets me? I'm probably going to realise I'm overreacting when I've calmed down, but **** we shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

rusky

CC Addict
Glad you're OK.

Strange that they behave so much better when they have a fare!

Invest in a helmet cam

Worth while for the evidence

I had a cab overtake at an Island and forced me to brake to avoid him.

Quite politely aske d him why he hadn't waited and was told I should not have been in his (expletive) way.

Footage sent to the licensing office who promptly called him in, interviewed him, and docked his license.

One more offence and he no longer drives taxis.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
rusky said:
Glad you're OK.

Strange that they behave so much better when they have a fare!

I forgot to add there were two traditionally dressed middle aged indian women in the back seats! He did have a fare!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
Invest in a helmet cam

Worth while for the evidence

I had a cab overtake at an Island and forced me to brake to avoid him.

Quite politely aske d him why he hadn't waited and was told I should not have been in his (expletive) way.

Footage sent to the licensing office who promptly called him in, interviewed him, and docked his license.

One more offence and he no longer drives taxis.

I think I may have to, although I can't really afford to at the moment. And I wasn't wearing a helmet at the time (but lets not start another argument!)

I decided I needed to go for another ride around the same area before I got scared off.

Of course I had a boy racer car full of lads deliberately accellerate past me as close as possible coming up to the same round about. Didn't fancy having a go at a black out windowed chavmobile with what looked like at least four guys in it! Fortunately I felt better as they went round the roundabout like a bunch of spastics and got honked at by pretty much everyone they went near. And then they got stuck in the wrong lane. Ahahahhaa.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I did enter the rab in what turned out to be the wrong lane, yes. Stayed in primary looking for an opening to change lane but didn't get one so planned to exit where I was going and dismount.

That RAB is horrid when the traffic is busy because it rarely flows, but when it does, each of the three lanes do so at different times which encourages a lot of lane changing mid roundabout. I must admit to trying to avoid it where ever possible unless traffic is lighter in the evening.

Sorry to hear that you had an event today Jezston. Deep breaths - glad you re-rode the area rather than let him get to you too much.

PBancroft

Jezston said:
I did enter the rab in what turned out to be the wrong lane, yes. Stayed in primary looking for an opening to change lane but didn't get one so planned to exit where I was going and dismount.

User3143 said:
So you was wrong

So he wasn't going the way he intended, as he was in the wrong lane to do so.

Davidc

Guru
Pity you couldn't just grab his keys and throw them down the nearest road drain! :ohmy:

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I didn't get that far, just looked and didn't fancy trying it, so stayed in primary in the right turn lane.

In other news ...

RESULT!

Just had a visit from a policeman. Explained to him the story, he took my details and seemed to be in agreement the driver was in the wrong. Turns out the officer used to be a keen cyclist until a back injury put a stop to it, and that he has a pretty low opinion of the driving skills and attitudes on the roads of many taxi drivers!

So, he's going to pay a visit to the driver and remind him of his duties under the highway code.

I'm pretty pleased with that result ;)

Matthames

Über Member
Jezston said:
So, he's going to pay a visit to the driver and remind him of his duties under the highway code.

I'm pretty pleased with that result :laugh:

I would love to see the expression on that drivers face when the policeman turns up on his door for a word. :biggrin:

Top Bottom