You think motorists are hostile to you in your city? Try Gaborone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Stayed in a hotel outside Boston for one night before hiring car for a road trip, after checking in I asked if there was a Target near by. Turned out there was a strip mall across the dual carriageway in front of the hotel. There was an intersection about 500 yards away so we could walk up and cross then walk down the other side. The hotel wanted to call us a taxi and were horrified that we wanted to walk about half a mile to do a bit of shopping. :wacko:
Wasn't the Courtyard Marriot in Danvers was it? I got shouted at for crossing the road there. It really freaks out the locals :laugh:

bladesman73

Über Member
The same here. If I meet someone I know while on the bike they always ask ‘Where is your car?’.
I have had a few people at work assume I cant afford a car cos I cycle to work. I fail to understand why people who choose to cycle are deemed either poor or a loser...one of my bikes cost more than many of the 2nd hand cars they drive. Humans are truly bizarre

Slick

Guru
Lived at the top of Forfar Road fora while... it was great going in but murder going home.
Never lived there but worked there plenty and trying to get through it during peak time was always tough. It has actually changed quite a bit since I spent any real time there and the sea front has been developed well with the V&A being the jewel in the crown. :okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It does look fun :ohmy: - doing a stage of the TDF with a bucket of water on their head, and bonus seconds for how much is left, would at least add interest.

p082cywf.webp
It would be dead handy for washing down the pills too.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I'm the same when visiting Hong Kong for work. It's about a mile from the teaching venue to the hotel I stay at: most colleagues and the staff there use a taxi or the MTR. Me? I walk. They think me weird, even though I usually get there faster and less flustered due to everyone else being on the tram or in a car.

When getting from the airport I learnt to use the bus rather than the MTR as well: less busy, cheaper, settles you in and usually not much slower.
I did the same on a month’s secondment in Dubai.
Walking was easy but a bit hit. crossing the dual carriageway roads was the really tricky bit.
Plus actually finding the pedestrian entrance to buildings. Everyone seems to enter via the underground car park.

Drago

Legendary Member
A mate of mine did some work in Beirut in the 1980's. To say that they didn't like motorcyclists was an understatement - he was advised to remove the bulbs from the rear light to make it harder for snipers to pick them off at night...

A bloke I used to hang around with in school runs a safari company near Maun. He used to design and manufacture crossbows and guns and was at one time a big game hunter.

As far as I know he doesn't ride a bike, but I wouldn't risk angering him if I saw him cycling.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
We stayed with friends in Cupertino, Calif. years ago. They advised us that it wasn't possible to walk the 15 mins to the nearby retail park as it would be considered jay walking to be on the main road. I got the impression that people only walk in rural areas.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We stayed with friends in Cupertino, Calif. years ago. They advised us that it wasn't possible to walk the 15 mins to the nearby retail park as it would be considered jay walking to be on the main road. I got the impression that people only walk in rural areas.
And people its just the food that makes Americans fat.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Made the mistake of walking to the K-Mart opposite our hotel in Kissimmee in Florida. Got bollocking from Sherriff.
"It's 50 yards away!"
"But illegal to cross the road except by car" :eek:
Nucking futs.

I had similar "telling off" in Kissiminee, but, because I walked along the street carrying. my pack of beer (not drinking, just carrying it), unwrapped, apparently, I should have had it in a brown paper bag. Apparently carrying a loaded weapon would have been no problem, but, not alcohol. ;)

Top Bottom