You think your fast.......then!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Rare I get overtaken because I see so few other cyclists on my commute - most are on mtbs and not really pushing themselves. Did get overtaken however by a guy on a TT bike a couple of days ago going at quite a fierce speed.

Thing is the guy was wearing running trousers that don't have the same kind of high back that cycling legwear has. I had to slow down and let him get as far away from me as possible as I wasn't comfortable looking in front of me with the view I was getting!

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
Always someone faster hmmmmm.

I regularly meet and chat to a gent, about 70 years young, may be older, who rides a fixie circa 1950's. He will cruise along side, we will exchange views on the world in a untroubled way and after a while he will say something along the lines of "must get on or need to be back for tea" and he will smoothly accelerate off into the distance.

I have tried, heaven I have tried to jump on and he spins away. Nope, not a chance, not even close, he is smooth and elegant and I'm pedalling squares. The most frustrating thing is I have to up my pace to say with him as we chat; he looks and sounds like he is relaxing in bath, me I look and sound like I have just broken the hour record riding a BSO with a flat tyre.

Bless you Sir, I would not have it any other way.

Beautifully phrased! But when I started commuting I wasn´t interested in racing, but it creeps up on you doesn´t it. I´m 54 and my favourite moment on a commute (in London) is overtaken a younger roadie. But the other day I nearly had a heart attack staying ahead of someone who was clearly a ´better´ cyclist than me, and have now decided to take it a little easier in future! It´s not a race, and you never know who you´re up against.
I´ve sold the single speed commuter and I´m actually building a ´gentleman´s´ town bike at the moment-Sturmey 3 speed, Brooks saddle, mudguards etc.
But I love the sound of your 70 yr old guy. Someone should make a documentary about him!

Top Bottom