You think your fast.......then!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
On my commute this morning I joined the main road at a junction, as I approach see a fellow cyclist on a road bike, think right game on, he clocks me and is going at a fair pace. Bearing in mind it's rare I cross paths with other cyclists on my commute. I set off in pursuit. Instantly I thought he's quite quick, I put the hammer down to catch him......second thought bloody hell he's really fast! In my defence my legs have been feeling tired this week, like lead weights to be honest. Not much defence I know lol!

I was giving it as much as I could with how tired I felt. I could just keep him in sight. We past another guy on a road bike on a little climb and past him like he was stationary!

You think your quick, then you see the terminator on a bike and think.......theres still room for improvement :sad:

Tynan

Veteran
always someone faster, fact

there's a New Zealander type on my route I see from time to time that is defo quicker than me on a good day, he holds a steady pace that I can;t keep up for more than 10 odd minutes, that and he's a bit more lary in traffic than i chose to be, I hide behind that

he slows slightly for a cheery hello and a quick chat when he passes me before moving away, grrr

what irritates me is the blokes that look like they're cruising barring the fact they're going bloody fast, I got after someone today, looked up and thought 'pah, they;re not trying after all', but got up t 25mph and was only keeping up, christ know what gear he was in, it was like some sort of mirage

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I meet a guy on my commute sometimes, he has particularly fine well toned legs and rides a fixed. He's a monster, I can usually only just about keep up with him, and hardly leave him on the descents.

BSRU

A Human Being
I don't seem to have that problem in Swindon, obviously due to my amazing speed :tongue:.

Only really see real roadies at evenings/weekends, during my commute it is always wannabe roadies like me, on a road bike but unable to ride the miles it deserves. It is satisfying overtaking a wannabe roadie on my main commuter bike, the heavy hybrid, especially as I always just maintain the speed I would be going if they were not their.

I had a guy catch me unawares yesterday. Whipped past me on a road bike. Was ready for him this morning. Saw him just in front and skinned him. My 12.5 stone frame on a hybrid crucifying his 20 year younger / 2.5 stone lighter frame on a road bike. Kept in front of him all the way until we got to the point where I knew he turned off.

Had cut my toenails this morning. That 20g made all the difference :tongue:

martint235

Dog on a bike
All the cyclists I passed on my way home last night should probably give up cycling!! To be passed by a 40 odd year old, with gout in both feet and a knackered achilles, I'd hang my head in shame!!
rolleyes.gif

GrasB

Veteran
always someone faster, fact
Absolutely... it's just the faster you are the less likely to are to come across someone who's genuinely faster than you.

what irritates me is the blokes that look like they're cruising barring the fact they're going bloody fast, I got after someone today, looked up and thought 'pah, they;re not trying after all', but got up t 25mph and was only keeping up, christ know what gear he was in, it was like some sort of mirage
I passed a roadie on Monday, he gave kick & held onto my wheel - I'll give him his dues he tried to help out at the front but couldn't. When we got stopped by a level crossing the guy pulls along side, looks at me, then my Garmin proudly showing HR graph, 30s ave power & HR (%max). After a pause to catch his breath he gasps "You look so easy at speed. It (pointing at my Garmin) say different".

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I was quite impressed with an older chap yesterday on the way in, he was just about keeping up with me for quite a while. Riding a black road bike, Spesh, I think, and wearing a red top. He did get redder and breathier, but I was amazed how he managed to keep accelerating and stick with me for a good few miles along the A202.

ACS

Legendary Member
Always someone faster hmmmmm.

I regularly meet and chat to a gent, about 70 years young, may be older, who rides a fixie circa 1950's. He will cruise along side, we will exchange views on the world in a untroubled way and after a while he will say something along the lines of "must get on or need to be back for tea" and he will smoothly accelerate off into the distance.

I have tried, heaven I have tried to jump on as he spins away. Nope, not a chance, not even close, he is smooth and elegant and I'm pedalling squares. The most frustrating thing is I have to up my pace to stay with him as we chat; he looks and sounds like he is relaxing in bath, me I look and sound like I have just broken the hour record riding a BSO with a flat tyre.

Bless you Sir, I would not have it any other way.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I came up behind a female roadie yesterday. All the gear (full lycra) but going very slowly. I overtook her, which seemed to spur her into action, as a couple of minutes later she shot past me as if I was standing still. Damn well put me in my place.

abo

I came up behind a female roadie yesterday. All the gear (full lycra) but going very slowly. I overtook her, which seemed to spur her into action, as a couple of minutes later she shot past me as if I was standing still. Damn well put me in my place.

Never feck with a roadie if you're riding an Apollo Vortice :tongue:

Couple of weeks ago I was going about as quickly as my Phaze (on knobblies) would let me on the flat and I got destroyed by some roadie lycra guy. Possibly payback for me feeling a bit cocky after scalping some poor dude on his way home, on an identical bike to me :laugh:

martint235

Dog on a bike

I tend to pretend female roadies have me beaten and stay just behind them, I like to think it helps their day off to a good start. Of course it doesn't help my day in any way, shape or form
icon_twisted.gif

subaqua

What’s the point
I tend to pretend female roadies have me beaten and stay just behind them, I like to think it helps their day off to a good start. Of course it doesn't help my day in any way, shape or form
icon_twisted.gif

it helps mine immensley, especially if they have a cute backside.

Top Bottom