you wait for ages .......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
point taken. Once he's got his nose ahead you can almost count on exactly that thing happening. The design of the 'cycle lane' is bewildering.

If that cost £500,000 then somebody should call the District Auditor! Whereabouts is it?

Alexandra Road, Leyton, E10. Part of the little one way system at the end of Ruckholt Road. The "improvements" consisted of some new street lights (quite funky), extending the pavement, raising the roadway to pavement level and then putting in car parking on the pavement. I am assuming that raising the roadway a couple of inches involved lots of expensive drainage work.

As for troubling the local auditors they have been somewhat busy with this. And this. And this. And certainly this.

I am with Aqua on this one. The way I cycle this road is to keep in primary unless a car comes up behind me fast when I duck into the cycle lane. Cars fly down this nice straight bit of road and I am not happy with trusting that they are concentrating enough to slow for the cyclist. Waltham Forest have form for putting narrow cycle lanes right up against parked cars - especially on narrow roads. I don't know whether the council are unbelievably stupid and simply ignore all guidelines and advice or whether they actually want to kill cyclists in their borough.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
A door will open will much further than that!

really ? having seen a door open on it whilst i was on the bus one evening I know it doesn't otherwise the bus driver would have had a door on the front of his bus.:angry:

today was a better day as no maniacs tried it on either close passing RLJing or trying to drive through me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A two door car will open maybe 4ft, not everyone opens their door just as much as they need, some swing the door open max so you have to take that into account.
The whole point of being out of the door zone is to position your self so that if a door does open then you don't need to react, so you need to position the left side of your self maybe 1-2ft away from where the edge of a door will open.

A bus driver doesn't care about a car door, it's going to do little damage to them, but a door can kill you!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I reckon an open door will pretty much cover that entire cycle lane. I think all of your bike would have to be to the right of the lane to avoid a completely open door.

Think of the pointed corner of the door next time you pass a car with a door open, and imagine where on your body that will spear you.

d87heaven

And 3 door cars have longer doors then 5 door cars.
And old, larger, infirm people often need to swing doors open all the way. Watch a child or fat person get out of a car in a car park. Even with a car next to them they often swing the door right open regardless of if they hit the car next to them.

Origamist

Legendary Member
You have my sympathies with this road Aqua. I have cycled down it numerous times and it isn't nice.

Taking primary may be all well and good, but the cars speed down there and I have certainly been bullied into the door zone. Some of the speeds they bear down on you means I get more concerned the idiot behind might just decide to drive through me than a potential dooring.

Even if you stick to the dangerous cycle lane, the road is narrow and a van has to close pass to overtake.

+1

You're between a rock and a hard place along there.

Top Bottom