you wait for ages .......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
You have my sympathies with this road Aqua. I have cycled down it numerous times and it isn't nice.

Taking primary may be all well and good, but the cars speed down there and I have certainly been bullied into the door zone. Some of the speeds they bear down on you means I get more concerned the idiot behind might just decide to drive through me than a potential dooring.

Even if you stick to the dangerous cycle lane, the road is narrow and a van has to close pass to overtake.

Waltham Forest revamped this road at the cost of £0.5M. This lane is, presumably, considered fine by them. This is because, when it comes to cycle infrastructure (amongst other things), they cannot find their own arse with both hands.

To be fair, they can't even find their own hands.

i try to stick in primary but as you say rather a dooring than a running over. today was better and a very nice Laing O'Rourke van kept well back and then gave me loads of room as he went past.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
The issue with kids is not just them running out but them opening doors. You can not tell if a small child is siting in the back, and kids will fiddle and pull anything they can.

Personally i think it's hard to complain if someone passes too close if you a. cycle in the door zone when you shouldn't b. give the idiot motorists the inch of space they require to squeeze past you.

You may not have had an issue in the past 12 months but what about the next 12?

the main part of my video was about the cutting into the lane when he goes round the corner, but you all seem to have forgotten that bit and used internet hindsight to become supercyclists.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the main part of my video was about the cutting into the lane when he goes round the corner, but you all seem to have forgotten that bit and used internet hindsight to become supercyclists.
point taken. Once he's got his nose ahead you can almost count on exactly that thing happening. The design of the 'cycle lane' is bewildering.

If that cost £500,000 then somebody should call the District Auditor! Whereabouts is it?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

LOL as always, that is why i rarely post videos on here. My posts where just merely meant to be advice, not something you have to take.

I would half expect that to happen when he goes around the turn and personally I wouldn't use that cycle lane at all as i think the road is too narrow for it, i would personally take a primary position throughout. That is easier said than done and is especially easier if you can manage to hold a high speed, which i know is not possible for everyone.

Does this happen ofter? Could you plan for it a little bit better and just hold back a little bit further whilst he goes around the corner? I would presume that any vehicle in front of me will take that corner in the cycle lane.

The reason folks attention was drawing to the close overtake was the opening line in your OP
then you get 2 close passes in one day.
The cutting into the cycle lane doesnt change the comments about it bein a farcility and nobody has offered anything other than advice which is not the benefit of hindsight more the benefit of foresight :smile:

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
LOL as always, that is why i rarely post videos on here. My posts where just merely meant to be advice, not something you have to take.

I would half expect that to happen when he goes around the turn and personally I wouldn't use that cycle lane at all as i think the road is too narrow for it, i would personally take a primary position throughout. That is easier said than done and is especially easier if you can manage to hold a high speed, which i know is not possible for everyone.

Does this happen ofter? Could you plan for it a little bit better and just hold back a little bit further whilst he goes around the corner? I would presume that any vehicle in front of me will take that corner in the cycle lane.

no , it generally doesn't. most people keep in the lane and give me loads of room. itotal since they udated ( loathe to say upgrade) its happened maybe 4 times. A bigger van passed me today and left plenty of room. i do try and hold back at the run into the lights as I can keep a good speed up but starting from satandstill means i am not going as quick as i would like. I have hit 25 coming up to the corner on a good run occasionally .

taking primary doesn't always mean that they wont try and pass you close either. one of the works vans passed me today a tad close on a section of dual road further along the A106, even better was his stop in the ASL. Can't wait to see his face when he gets the letter from fleet.

Dell the road is the A106 Ruckholt Rd/Alexandra Rd/York Rd from Leyton High road to Oliver rd in the Lame Borough of Waltham Forest

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Whilst primary doesn't stop people from overtaken close, it does give you lots of run off area to the right to move into if required to avoid being clipped by the back of a vehicle after it's passed you.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Whilst primary doesn't stop people from overtaken close, it does give you lots of run off area to the right to move into if required to avoid being clipped by the back of a vehicle after it's passed you.

Even secondary is designed to give such run off space. Such cycle lanes by their nature give you nowhere to go.

Mad at urage

What everyone else has said (it's not hindsight, it's the first thing we see when the video starts - "hey, that lane is in the doorzone. Why's subaqua riding there?"); it's also what you already know but ...
i try not to cycle in it . thankfully there is a good view along the whole length and you can see if there are any people in tthe cars. when i don't cycle in it i get abuse that leads to http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mYTwzOVHF6A and worse. but i didn't have the camera on that day.

Waltham forest have gone a bit Olympic route mad.
Abuse? Surely he was just giving a friendly toot to let you know when he's about to pass? :rofl: Seriously, please don't let these people push you into the less safe position.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
What everyone else has said (it's not hindsight, it's the first thing we see when the video starts - "hey, that lane is in the doorzone. Why's subaqua riding there?"); it's also what you already know but ...

Abuse? Surely he was just giving a friendly toot to let you know when he's about to pass? :rofl: Seriously, please don't let these people push you into the less safe position.

thats the thuing though I am not IN the lane i am just outside of it. enough to not get a dooring but , as it now seems, not enough to stop close passes. all valid points taken on board .

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That farcility would make me want to take a different route, and maybe also campaign to the council about the negligence of that cycle lane design.

Top Bottom