"you where taking up the whole road"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is little point talking to drivers. They genreally have little interest in your safetly and really don't want to be criticised.

+1. A warning shout is one thing, a smile or nod of appreciation is another - but I don't bother with conversation about their driving or their opinion on me as a cyclist.

Hahaha, I have this sort of thing when I cycle into work from my girlfriends, I need the middle lane on a merger at a set of lights.

I cycle in primary along the lane, the beeps and swearing are comical, the only conversation I've had here went like this after the car squeezed up the left hand side of me.

"Get the **** off the road you ******* **** face"

"No"

"You're taking up the whole ******* lane, do you think you're allowed to use the whole ******* thing?"

"Ummm, yeah"

"No you ain't, you're on a ******* bike holding me up so get out of my ******* way"

"It's alright sweet cheeks, I love you too"

"******* ******, you're on a ******* bike you ******* ****** get out of my ******* way or I'll run you over... ******"

Ironically, after undercutting me I then re-passed him at the next set of lights, I blew him a kiss as I went past.

pshore

I once had a guy pointing at his "tax disc " repeatedly and said i did not have as much right to use the road

The last guy that did that to me fell for this ...

Driver: "I pay road tax ... blah blah"
Me: "Do you think people who pay more road tax should have more right to the road ?" (bait)
Driver: "Yes." (bait taken)
Me: "I've got a car at home, and I've paid more road tax than you ..."

... Driver looking quite embarrassed at this point and very quickly moves onto the next argument before I have a chance to finish.

:biggrin:

Chilternrides

It's just ignorance. Many people think cyclists should be in the gutter, and no amount of reasoning will convince them otherwise. It's best to just ignore them and continue to ride with your own safety in mind, rather than their convenience.

Or offer him your bike and invite him to demonstrate how and where you should be riding. You, meanwhile sit in his car and as he approaches, open the door with a flourish - then he might understand.
;)

The last guy that did that to me fell for this ...

Driver: "I pay road tax ... blah blah"
Me: "Do you think people who pay more road tax should have more right to the road ?" (bait)
Driver: "Yes." (bait taken)
Me: "I've got a car at home, and I've paid more road tax than you ..."

... Driver looking quite embarrassed at this point and very quickly moves onto the next argument before I have a chance to finish.

:biggrin:

I've had a similar conversation with a woman outside of one of my local libraries. It was her opinion that because we cyclists didn't pay our "fair share" that we didn't have a right to be on the road. As well as motorists are trying to move goods from one point to another. I can't remember if I explained to her that we do in fact pay our fair share (more actually) as over on this side of the pond the funding for the local roads comes from property tax, which we cyclists pay even if we rent an apartment/house; sales tax on goods, we all pay that; and income tax, which if one is unemployed but has an interest baring savings account, or any other kind of interest baring account we pay. And that we cyclists also are trying to get goods from one point to another.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Once I had two incidents like this in one day.

One where I moved into the primary position at a pinch point, and a lady shouted something at me. I followed her and when she stopped outside a house I just asked her what she said. She stated that I was in the middle of the road holding all the traffic up, when in fact there was noone behind her. I simply explained to her that I have to go in the middle of the road to stop people passing at a pinch point and it is dangerous. I asked her who's fault it would be if I were to get hit if I hadnt moved over and she said mine! When I told her that I had her on camera and I was going to put it on YouTube, she then said that she knows where I live. I told her she didnt and she said she was going to follow me home. (I had just started my ride so wasnt going directly home anyway.

Secondly, I moved into the primary position at the top of a blind bridge. When I moved over, the second car to pass me beeped. When we stopped at the lights, I asked her why she beeped. She once again said that I was holding up the traffic. When I started explaining myself she just rolled up her window. I decided to leave it and just move back behind her.
The thing is is that she lived near me and works with my mother! When she quiried my mum about it my mum was so embarrased!

People need to be a bit more patient on the roads and not just rush around everywhere.

Top Bottom