"you where taking up the whole road"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ellis456

So I was waiting at the lights here waiting to go straight:

http://maps.google.c...,11.25,,0,15.72

I took primary as I know upcoming is a merge and if you go to far left you will be crushed or not seen, so I rode a bit further out then normal just until I got past the merge then went back into secondry when a car overtook and beeped at me.

I caught it up at the lights and asked the two young lads what was the problem, the passenger said "you where taking up the whole road", I explained why I was further out then normal but they couldn't comprehend what I said an just wound the window up.

facepalm.jpg

AlickB

i'm just impressed you managed to speak to them at all, usually these guys just shout abuse

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
There is little point talking to drivers. They genreally have little interest in your safetly and really don't want to be criticised.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Good job you did not use the " i have as much right to use the road as you " line as that opens up the whole "road tax " debate ...

I once had a guy pointing at his "tax disc " repeatedly and said i did not have as much right to use the road and i should at best cycle in the gutter, funny thing was he stopped another100 yard s up the road to drop someone off on double yellow lines ...

Do not let such numpties spoil your day as they are simply not worth it , ensuring that you are safe is more important than some turnip having to wait a few seconds.

I had a similar encounter with a person who was waiting to cross the road. Only in my case I was outside of the bike lane because this particular bike lane is right smack in the door zone, and I did NOT want to get doored. In his opinion because the city installed bike lanes I should use them. And when I tried to explain him that it wasn't safe he called me a "effen peanut" for not riding in the bike lane.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It's just ignorance. Many people think cyclists should be in the gutter, and no amount of reasoning will convince them otherwise. It's best to just ignore them and continue to ride with your own safety in mind, rather than their convenience.

It's just ignorance. Many people think cyclists should be in the gutter, and no amount of reasoning will convince them otherwise. It's best to just ignore them and continue to ride with your own safety in mind, rather than their convenience.

Agreed, and ironically just the other day I was basically riding in the "gutter" i.e. a bike lane that runs right along the curb of the road that I was on, and some peanut has to lay on their horn and honk at me.

The other ironic thing is that in the case of the peanut who called me an "effen peanut" for not riding in the bike lane. I had stopped to allow him to cross the road, as he was the pedestrian and I was operator of a vehicle.

And just today as I was riding my usual route, I had some peanut honk at me and point to the right side of the road, as if to say that I needed to either ride in the non-existent bike lane or in the shoulder/gutter of the road. I just held my line and continued to ride. After he passed me he once more pointed towards the right side of the road.

Wouldn't the fact that for all his honking/pointing while behind/passing me hadn't "encouraged" me to move to where he thought that I should be riding. Why would I "suddenly" move over after he passed me

Exactly, which is why twice now when I've had people pull up behind me wanting to make a right hand turn on red (I'm in the states in case anyone forgot) and honked at me and pointed to the right. I stayed in the center of the lane and didn't move a mm to my left.

Just because they're in a hurry to get where they want to go doesn't mean that I am going to compromise my safety.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The other ironic thing is that in the case of the peanut who called me an "effen peanut" for not riding in the bike lane. I had stopped to allow him to cross the road, as he was the pedestrian and I was operator of a vehicle.

Internet trolls have to cross the road too.

Peter88

Veteran
I once had a guy pointing at his "tax disc " repeatedly and said i did not have as much right to use the road and i should at best cycle in the gutter,
Coming home from this mornings ride I had a guy in an Audi convertable do the same thing :rolleyes: Funny thing was when i looked at his "tax disc" it was out of date :biggrin:

Had this at work....

So simply apologised:

1. For being in the correct lane,
2. Travelling at the speed limit
3. Travelling in the correct position for a roundabout

Then asked:

1. Why he was speeding?
2. Why the illegal undertake using the car park entrance to do so.
3. Why the undertake was performed inside the zigzag prohibition lanes of a pedestrian crossing
4. Why he had cut in so abruptly

The only answer was "well you shouldn't have been in the way"... he then muttered and left he room when asked if he would like me to put the video on the computer for the others to see and make up their own minds.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
That, sadly, is the usual case. Those words are unfortunately very true -though perhaps you could also add "and don't want to be inconvenienced by even by seconds".

There is little point talking to drivers. They genreally have little interest in your safetly and really don't want to be criticised.

Top Bottom