You wouldn't believe it if it was on video.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Excellent day at work today, couldn't find anything to complain about if I tried...

Got on the bike heading into work, completely incident free. Got to work and was told I'd be doing leaflet deliveries all day, within the city centre (meaning I could clock up some nice mileage on the bike) and had an amazing day... Until about 3:30.

Coming from Clarence Street onto Wigginton Road and some moron in a Focus decides it's a good idea to overtake me, speeding with maybe a foot of space at most. Red mist descended and I chased him (we were heading the same way anyway).

Now, I should point out that when I'm in chase mode I pretty much tailgate the car in front until I have a chance to catch up and have a word (bad of me, I know). Got a bit further up the road to this pinch point and a lovely lady in a black car went around the wrong side of the traffic island to pass me. Why waiting 5 seconds to pass seemed so daunting that she had to break the law to pass me is still beyond me, but there we go.

Caught up with both cars at the red traffic light in that last link, said nothing to the woman in the black car but had a go at the Fiesta (denied all knowledge of course).

Oh, we're not finished yet. Turned the corner onto Crichton Ave and a council van overtook me, on the other side of the road, on double white lines, with the passenger screaming at me out of the window to get in the cycle lane. I should add that the Google link is out of date, and this youtube video is the current layout. Unfortunately that youtube video is a perfect example of why I don't use that particular bike lane.

...I really need to get another camera sorted out :sad:

</rant>

dand_uk

Point 3 - I find it funny it was a council van - maybe they were disappointed you werent using the farcility they designed?

Yet another road side pavement -> cycle route conversion which is impractical for adult cyclists but perhaps useful for school kids/leisure riders. I think the design speed of such route is 8mph or something v low. Inappropriate for adult cycling speeds, particularly on the downhill part of the bridge.

Funny thing is this is the way all urban cycle facilities seem to be designed these days. Maybe it's because non-cyclists say they would take up cycling if "more cycle routes" are available.

How about a national tv advert campaign - saying that use of cycle facilities is not mandatory?

I have been known to slowly creep along substandard cycle pavements adjacent to roads so that I avoid hassle from agressive motorists. That or avoid the route entirely.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Council van occupants are *very* vulnerable to complaints about bad behaviour and driving. Many councils are super hot on sorting out that kind of wrong behaviour very quickly.

Top Bottom