Young rider, medium distance rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
My lad loves his riding, he's 13 and started racing at the end of last season, goes to the Velodrome, and enjoys 40 mile weekend rides both at the circuit and with a local group... (And me :smile: )

He trains most days, and for a relatively small and lightweight lad he has got fast and climbs like a goat on a triple espresso :smile:

Now he wants to join me on a few 100km rides, starting with one next Sunday.
We sorted out nutrition for 40-50 milers, with electrolyte sports powders in his water bottles, full use of any cafe stop, and whey powder added to yoghurt post ride.

Him being approx 40kg, there isn't much body to carry extra fuel stores, so just wondered if anyone had any tips for helping youngsters achieve longer distances?

I'm not keen on him having gels or loading up on sugary sweets (Haribo). But accept he will need a little extra something to happily clock up the 100km rides he wants to do over the next few months.

Cheers all

Johnny

You'd probably be suprised. If they're fit, kids can knock out that kind of distance without too much issue. Whatever he takes on his 40milers - just take a bit more of it.

L14M

Über Member
He's smaller than me but the 2 years younger, i'm doing 20 milers fine, i try to do more but hit the limit before my legs go. I'd say watch how he is but beef up a little before. I mean i'm not the smallest kid but not the largest having fat to tap into does help i find but i'm just starting out. The main problem I face is my legs getting tired but him being fitter than me shouldn't find that a problem. If possible stay close to home for the first ride?

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
Yep I guess just make sure he has a good feed the night before, good breakfast and eats sensibly during, and maybe cuts his training two days before to just a spin on the rollers.

His longest ride to date was a 50 miler, and he was tired that evening but he finished relatively strong.

No doubt the imperial 100 won't be far off, keeps me on my toes :smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If he can do 50 he should be able to do 62 - might be knackered the first time - but what you have said sounds sensible.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
well just to update that he took part in the ride yesterday and ended up doing 70 miles in some of the most testing conditions I have ridden in for a long long time. Head winds, cross winds, flooded roads, rain, hail... we had it all, but he made it.

He hit a wall at 38 miles, but we had been head on into a blustery wind for nigh on an hour. We stopped, he had a gel and washed it down, and that pepped him up.
Another gel at the last control point saw him fly in the final 2 miles at approx 27 mph.

He was toasted, but he wasn't alone in that. I can't believe how he managed so well, 6 stone of nothingness in such conditions. So very proud of his achievement.

Top Bottom