Your amazing experiences whilst riding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Forgive me if you've heard these before.

Two to get the ball rolling;

Coming down a trail in Crested Butte at speed, I crossed a wide, shallow river ford at about 10mph and noticed in the clear water ahead of my bow wave that I was chasing an enormous fish!

Returning with a few mates along the Bristol waterfront after a few pints at The Cottage pub my mate Noah aimed his BMX at a pair of gulls standing innocently at the side of the road. They weren't paying attention so by the time he got to them and pulled a bunny hop they had just taken off. And there it was in a split second Noah sailing over a pair of flying seagulls! Legend.

Too many to mention....mostly involving the massive effort of climbing an enormous hill and then being rewarded with a magical view beautiful enough to move you to tears...

But I guess I have two memorable rides which I would revisit any time:
- riding through Glen Sleagachan on Skye as part of the classic 'tour of sleagachan' mtb ride.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmichaelwright/113027717/in/set-72057594082972538/
- dropping an 8 footer on Corkscrew/CBC/Neds on the north shore. You have no idea what adrenaline can do until you pull something really scary off! The best natural high EVER. Crap photo but this is the moment...
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=ybf1ap&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was bombing down a long bridleway on my MTB once when I saw a sudden movement out of the corner of my eye. A swallow (or was it a swift?) dived down and got about 3 feet in front of my face. It then led me down the bridleway for hundreds of yards - super ;).

Batzman

Yup. Riding up Grouse mountain in north Vancouver, and the oh-so divinely tasty cold, dew-dripping off the glass of beer from the pub at the top.

...and the terrifying high-speed descent afterwards...

Melvil

Cycling along an old country road bordered by two violently yellow oilseed rape fields on a cloudless, hot day when suddenly a harrier jumpjet screamed across the road about 10 foot above the ground and I then saw it banking gently in the distance. I can't explain why this was magical, something in the symmetry of it, the sheer power of the jet, the lovely day, my zen like mood as I had cycled a number of miles already that day...oh it was amazing.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Oh and another one, went for a wee ride up to a veiwpoint near a campsite to watch the sunset, on the way back down, following the former Ms M at a good 20mph, a dirty great big deer came barrelling out of the trees and headed straight towards her. It was on a collision course, it's hooves weren't getting any traction and just as it was about to collide with her it reared up and jumped over her! And was gone. All in the blink of an eye. She stopped having heard the clattering of hooves and my wails of impending doom but she hadn't seen a sodding thing!

Bigtallfatbloke

Once when I was riding across the moor at night it got very cold all of a sudden, icy cold, I was scared, like I was being watched. A green glow surrounded me and I felt like I was flying. Inside the space ship was a complete bicycle repair workshop and a little green engineer. It was explained that they had travelled through time across millions of light years to collect specimens of strange old heavy bicycles. it seemed like a lifetime as they worked on my Galaxy, yet in reality it must have been just moments as I was returned to the pub on the moor in time for last orders. Amazing.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Once when I was riding across the moor at night it got very cold all of a sudden, icy cold, I was scared, like I was being watched. A green glow surrounded me and I felt like I was flying. Inside the space ship was a complete bicycle repair workshop and a little green engineer. It was explained that they had travelled through time across millions of light years to collect specimens of strange old heavy bicycles. it seemed like a lifetime as they worked on my Galaxy, yet in reality it must have been just moments as I was returned to the pub on the moor in time for last orders. Amazing.
Did you get that chain replaced like we told you??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Descending into Betsw-y-Coed after climbing Llanberris Pass - about 4 of us all fairly close, hitting a steady 60 mph - whoooooooooooo no cars or cross winds............ bike performing beutifully......

Riding over Woodhead at about 45 degrees to the road surface due to high winds........followed by a frighteningly fast descent overtaking cars coming down the Sheffield side....... let's say coming up over the Snake later wasn't good.......

Descending Mount Tide in Lanzarote - very straight road, very fast, again overtaking cars going down.....just don't think about coming off - each side of the road is of course a lava field, covered in very shape pummice stone......

Following club mates down a descent near Flash (off Axe Edge) - we all over cook a corner and end up on the wrong side of the road, cue van coming the otherway...... driver shat himself as about 10 cyclists all passed between the van and the hedge on the inside of him....sorry !! That was ass twitching.......

The Mrs and I struggling a track through the mountains of Kyrgyzstan en-route to the Torugart Pass up near the border with China (slightly sensitive area). Nothing but snow and mountains for miles, haven't seen a car for 2 days. Suddenly a huge armoured personnel carrier appears over the next rise, comes tanking down the hill and pulls up in front of us "Fcuk were going to be arrested" Half a dozen russian soldiers pile out armed with AK 47s ....and Vodka bottles and glasses. For half an hour it's party on in the snow. Then they go and we carry on, just a bit pissed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Being one of only two riders who turned out for a late December MTB night ride and being rewarded with a ride in snow with the biggest yellowest moon I have ever seen, rising over the moors then illuminating the snow so strongly that we didn't need lights.

Top Bottom