Your bad Hotel Experiences.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
One of ours was a 1 night stay in Dublin.
The Ferry people recommended and booked us in a Mrs Sharkey's.
The bedroom carpet was one that you definitely wouldn't stand on except in shoes.
The bed sheet was so worn that she had cut it down the middle.......turned it and stitched it up (so the worn parts were now at the edges.
When we went down for breakfast she shouted to us "you can't go in yet......it is too busy". So we waited till a couple came out then we were ushered in........to find just one other couple in.
We sat at the designated table and she went to the left over toast (from the previous couple)........put it on our table and said "let me know if you need more".
She asked "do you want a full Irish" to which we said "yes"...........when she brought it.......it was one small sausage, on slice of fatty bacon, one hard fried egg, 1/4 of a tomatoe........and that was it.
It was on of those surreal situations where we knew it would be no use complaining as she was totally oblivious plus it was (fortunately) just for the one night.

Mrs Basil Fawlty,any chance.

postman

Legendary Member
Credit where it's due though, the mug of tea was the highlight of my stay :cuppa:

Sorry you guys and gals,i know you suffered in these hotels and rooms,but i have tears in my eyes at the moment through laughing.These tales are brill,so sorry i am still laughing.You actually paid for this.

stephec

Legendary Member
This place must've changed hands since I stayed there.

When I checked in a few years ago I was told the bar was shut because they didn't have a drinks licence, and the restaurant was shut because they didn't have a chef.

It looked like I was the only one staying there.

When I checked out I had to explain to the receptionist how to write a VAT receipt.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not a hotel but accomodation when i was working in Kafr Al Zaiat, Egypt, ants, lots of em on the carpet, mosquitoes, tiny ones that made an incredibly high pitched hum when they got near your ears, sent you nuts every few minutes, cockroaches, food in the fridge for days. 140 mosquito bites overnight and the worst dose of the squits I ever had...but lovely people..I was a guest so didnt really feel I could complain...I wasn't sure there was anything better nearby anyway.
I'm sure it was all quite normal for them...but ..:whistle: it was like Fallujah to look at.

gbb

Legendary Member
Most disappointing was the Sheraton in Montevideo. Rooms were nice but after a couple weeks of bland boring food, I thought a night there on the way home was going to be a treat...no, the food was bland and boring. :sad:

Octet

Veteran
I remember one very traumatic and bizarre experience when flying out on holiday. My flight wasn't until the next day so we booked into a cheap hotel close to the airport and thought to ourselves, "how bad can it be, it's only for one night".

Starting with the rooms, the carpet felt like it was made out of sandpaper, the bed sheets were dirty, I found a used plaster on the floor, mouldy bathroom etc. I'd hate to think what I might find if I ran a black light around the place.

The rest of the rooms were in a similar state, the wallpaper looked like it hadn't been changed since the building was first erected, the casual flickering light at the end of the corridor.

The food in the hotel was dire, cold when it came out, extremely tough... just generally bad. What really put the cherry on top though, was the fact that they couldn't open the wine at the table because of health and safety which meant the corkscrew had to be chained to the bar.

Diggs

Veteran
It wasn't the worst in the world, we had a great time but there was an air of Fawlty about it.
We booked a last minute deal on teletext in about 94 for Cornwall. It was a beautiful hotel overlooking Watergate bay. It had seen better days (and was subsequently revamped and costs 250+ a night now). We arrived and the room was ok, great view and you could see the bay and camper vans on the top of the cliffs.
There was us, one other couple and the remainder was a coach holiday of pensioners. Dinner was interesting, few options on the menu, no drinks offered so I popped to the bar and brought back a drink between courses. It was the first time I had ever seen a dairylea triangle on a cheeseboard.
Next night asked for winelist (there was a sparkling section that consisted of just Lambrusco), ordered a bottle or red and then had a hand written note slipped under the door an hour later asking for us to pay for it.
The entertainment was varied with "Jane and her organ" on the first night, who played tunes on her keyboard but was completely hidden behind a screen for the entire set. The highlight was us winning the Bullseye competition the next night but Mrs D doesn't let me keep the trophy on the mantelpiece anymore.
Ahhh great days...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
What really put the cherry on top though, was the fact that they couldn't open the wine at the table because of health and safety which meant the corkscrew had to be chained to the bar.

We once stayed at a hotel in Manchester which was very nice, except they couldn't find "the" corkscrew to open the bottle of wine we'd ordered to go with dinner. To be fair, they gave us a free glass of house wine each while we waited (must have been screw top - or on draught) and then another free glass when they admitted defeat and sent someone out to buy a new corkscrew from the shop up the road.
The wine was finally opened half way through the main course - and then they let us have the bottle on the house because of the delay! :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another Naija hotel story: some other ghastly place in eastern Nigeria but we stayed there because my agent had heard they had a good chef. The hotel was completely empty but anyway we had a pretty good steak braised with garlic and sat back feeling contented. After a while we fancied a sweet so we asked the waiter to bring the trolley, which only had three working wheels so took a bit of effort to drive. My agent, who smoked a pipe at that time, sat impassively, pipe in mouth and asked: "So what have we here?" Bristling with pride the waiter went through the choices: "Ah, sir, this is egg custad, this is fruit salad, this is jelly, this is sponge cake...." My agent eyed the trolly for a few seconds while puffing away then he turned to the waiter and asked: "So what is it that the fly is eating?"

I giggled all evening over that one.

postman

Legendary Member
A story from my wife.Her and her mates,go for a long weekend twice a year to and Art and Craft do.One of the girls has to have Gluten free food.So breakfast.Do you have gluten free bread.Yes can i have two slices of toast.Toast arrives,just to check,did you toast this in a seperate grill/toaster.No we did it under the grill.Well that is not right.This time put tinfoil on the grillpan,so no contamination.Much later,where is my toast.It won't brown under the foil,My my wifes mate,Don't bother with the toast.

Top Bottom