Your best pop song ever, and why.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
@Drago

No! Just no. I know musical taste is a personal thing, but on this one you are objectively, factually and absolutely wrong. :tongue:

I may be biased as its a bass driven song and good fun to play.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Probably be this for me. Just a great track and a good video, considering Billy and his girfriend (the bride, hot gossip dancer) were well into heroin at the time and could hardly manage to do anything. Read his autobiography, not that I'm a massive fan, just like reading about interesting people. Just a mixture of rock n roll and pop music, sounds really upbeat, even though the lyrics are a bit grim. Making the most of the dawn of MTV to become really big in the mid 80's.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
two absolute crackers there, but how ON EARTH did that Ace of Base song ever sell so manys?? It's almost a dirge. Only slightly more fun than "All that She Wants"; at least that sounded like it meant to be downbeat. But I never understood its popularity ...

Sorry, that was negativity creeping into a happy thread. I should banish myself to the "Singers You Really Hate" thread ...

I have to admit that I had to look them up. I know the songs (All that She Wants and I saw the Sign) because they got lodged in my head but I couldn't pin down the name of the artist.

Another one from that kind of bucket is "Spaceman" which, Wiki informs me, is from 1995 and is by Babylon Zoo who are a band from Wolverhampton. I was expecting some obscure synth outfit from Ghent. (Edit: or maybe Klagenfurt in Austria - twinned with Wolverhampton)

Last edited:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I grew up in deepest East Anglia listening to the Dutch pirate radio stations and this song has stayed with me.

Storm and Thunder by Earth and Fire.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

It's like that (occasionally)

But if you walk this way, I'll show you two ways of turning hip hop into perfect pop songs

Sallar55

Veteran
This is the song to play going somewhere new.

1000019836.png

GuyBoden

Guru
https://www.goldradiouk.com/news/music/first-uk-singles-chart-songs-date/
"The UK was a little set in its ways, with printed sheet music charts still being how we judged things going into the 1950s.

That all changed on November 14, 1952 when the New Musical Express (later the NME, and now just NME.com) printed the first ever UK singles chart."

"Have you ever wondered what songs were in the first ever UK singles charts. And more importantly, what was the first ever UK number one single?

Well, wonder no more... but first, some quick trivia:

• Vera Lynn was on the first UK singles chart THREE times
  • Frankie Laine popped up twice - once as a solo star, and once as a duet with Doris Day.
  • Forget The British Invasion... of the 13 different artists in the first UK chart, a whopping TEN are from the US, with just Vera Lynn, Ray Martin and Max Bygraves repping for the Brits"
UK's first Pop Number One, 1952.

Top Bottom