Your bike and a ruin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
All that's left of St. Cholmcille's Abbey.

IMG_20220801_130933.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No chance lol I was staying at an isolated hamlet (too small for a village) called Ravenscar. Pretty location but nothing there, apparently was once meant to be developed as a rival to Whitby/Scarborough but nothing came of it.

I know it well, its has a station on the cinder track, the old Whitby to Scarborough railway - which I assume you cycled on to Whitby before taking the back road into the abbey from Hawsker / Stainsacre!

Nice Tea room and the slightly quirky Hotel, Raven Hall, which was the start and end of the mighty resort, albeit streets and sewers were built but the massive trek down to the underwhelming beach doomed the project.

I know it well, its has a station on the cinder track, the old Whitby to Scarborough railway - which I assume you cycled on to Whitby before taking the back road into the abbey from Hawsker / Stainsacre!

Nice Tea room and the slightly quirky Hotel, Raven Hall, which was the start and end of the mighty resort, albeit streets and sewers were built but the massive trek down to the underwhelming beach doomed the project.

Aye that's right, I was camping (£6 a night, in 2019 amazing value). I did Ravenscar<>Scarborough in the morning and then Ravenscar<>Whitby in the afternoon.

Alex321

Veteran
Ogmore Castle (what there is of it)
20220807_122432.jpg

No chance lol I was staying at an isolated hamlet (too small for a village) called Ravenscar. Pretty location but nothing there, apparently was once meant to be developed as a rival to Whitby/Scarborough but nothing came of it.

It is said that the first public toilet in the world was built in Hull to provide solvent for the alum trade. Quite how this method of production was discovered is not recorded.

It's the origin of the phrase 'doesn't have a pot to piss in'. :okay:

https://scarborough360.co.uk/day-trips/ravenscar

Top Bottom