Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Today near Monkton.

Attachments

• 20210911_103821.jpg
    20210911_103821.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 4

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
We often pass by, will take a look.

If you want to be sure, you can find the churchwarden's phone number. I gave him a ring, and he opened it up specially for me - obviously I left a donation!! (Well, I always do, but having a private visit definitely merited it even more!)

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Can 't be too careful of those clerical types, but were you leaving/locking the bike on the ride? Or is it one of those very dodgy areas/parishes where there is a risk of your bike being snatched from you?

Unlikely to be snatched from between my legs, but having been in the church for a carol service and one of the students having had her passport and wallet stolen during the carol service (it's an area where there are a lot of druggies), and bike locks get cut, I wasn't going to take the best bike.

At another church in Exeter, we were rehearsing for a concert, and someone actually sneaked in the church and removed a locked bike from inside the church as we rehearsed... wasn't actually chained to anything, but still... there are some proper scrotes around, sadly.

Here’s St Leonard’s, Chapel Le Dale. Apparently 16th century and avoided the Victorians. The graveyard has interesting memorial to 200 workers killed building the Settle to Carlisle line, especially the nearby Ribblehead viaduct. Nice bench for a corona cafe, could be the last for a while as the real things are opening up.

View attachment 535513
sorry, can't see the bike @geocycle - if you can't produce one may baggsy this fine place myself.

credit to geocycle who preceeded me - found his/her post after having a vague recollection that it had already been visited by the cchat swarm.

St Leonards, Chapel le dale.

Over two hundred men women and children who perished from accident and disease building the Settle and Carlisle railway in these parts, the Ribblehead Viaduct and the tunnel under the moor are buried here, the vast majority in unmarked graves I think - ie near enough just dumped.

Until quite recently this was I think the only formal memorial, inside the church

Paid for by The Midland it says but also the poor navvies!

The Settle Carlisle line and Ribblehead are amazing achievements but created at great cost and some of the comments from some railway bosses at the time of their building are truly chilling. I can't remember for sure but I think one of the worst may have been from someone not unconnected with The Midland and quoted in Christian Wolmar's fine book:

https://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/bookshelf/fire-and-steam/

Bike against more recent memorial in the graveyard:

Close-up of its plaque:

An interesting pamphlet inside the church tells the story of the railway works coming to this quiet spot, and some of the tales of those who perished.

Finally, as all good atheists know, churches are god's nod to us to drink more espresso to power us home through nature's majesty.

A nice spot with a wonderful cycling road just beyond. Recommended.

Last edited:

Shack

St Peter's, Tiverton. Spot the shiny new/ refurbished bits. Tiverton was once an affluent market town.

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_163046018_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210912_163046018_HDR.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210912_163058027_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210912_163058027_HDR.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210912_155433772_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210912_155433772_HDR.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 6
I think this can maybe go here, just as relevant as to the "memorial" photo thread I think.

Devil's Arrows name of course applied after their erection, possibly by the new lately arrived churchy bunch.

Near Boroughbridge, right by the side of the road feeding into a major junction. Another of those things you can stop and look at on a bike but not a car. The largest stone, this one I think, is supposed to be larger than any of the upright stones at Stonehenge. The other two appear to be in the middle of a housing development being built over the road.

Top Bottom