Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shack

St Mary's church, Uffculme, Devon. It has the longest Rood screen in the county, if memory serves.

Attachments

• IMG_20211007_103001401_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211007_103001401_HDR.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 3

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
St Mary's church, Uffculme, Devon. It has the longest Rood screen in the county, if memory serves.

I've not been in for years, but go past often enough on the bike. The outside leaves me deeply uninspired (ka-boom-tish), but will read up on the rood screen... if it's old, it's worth a visit.

Seems like a big chunk in the middle of it is old:

Screens. 17 bays; it is fully discussed by Bond and Camm (see reference), and probably pre-dates the screen at Halberton (1420) albeit only slightly. Complete with coving, cornice and brattishing. The extension across the outer south aisle is a remarkable piece of high-class craftmanship of the mid C19. The 3 north bays are of 1828.

Last edited:

Shack

I've not been in for years, but go past often enough on the bike. The outside leaves me deeply uninspired (ka-boom-tish), but will read up on the rood screen... if it's old, it's worth a visit.

Seems like a big chunk in the middle of it is old:
It had a fair bit of work done about 20 years ago, I used to work for a charity they were involved with, so ended up inside at some point most days (even had a go on the bells for a few weeks) not been inside for maybe 10 years but certainly worth popping in if it's open and your passing.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Lovely photo, I drove past around 2.30 today, I will need to keep an eye out for bikes parked outside for future reference.

I was there a bit later, but had sneakily parked my bike in the porch anyway ;)

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Great, have you seen the ends up on the quantocks, might be croscombe way (I might need to check, it's been a good old time since I've stopped off) looks like you have been out for a good spin today, great weather for it.
75 pleasant miles today. Yes Quantocks are lovely, but makes a 100-miler from home, so not one to do after lunch.

Shack

BTW, here's a list for Somerset - the same chap has done one for Devon too.

https://benchends.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/somerset/
Wow that is a cracking little site, I had given these bench ends just a scant glance and appreciation, they appear a real treasure trove and insight into both local and occasionally regional history. Thanks for sharing, I will look a new when the opportunity presents itself, churches offer pretty easy access for an Often ancient building, the NT tend to less keen of veer off their dedicated walk ways, and the private great houses are positively sniffy.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Wow that is a cracking little site, I had given these bench ends just a scant glance and appreciation, they appear a real treasure trove and insight into both local and occasionally regional history. Thanks for sharing, I will look a new when the opportunity presents itself, churches offer pretty easy access for an Often ancient building, the NT tend to less keen of veer off their dedicated walk ways, and the private great houses are positively sniffy.

I think my two favourite Devon ones are Sandford and East Budleigh - some really surreal imagery. My favourite individual one is at Bickleigh (the one near Tiverton), where there's what I think is a self portrait of the woodcarver, perfectly preserved.

There's a really good book by Todd Gray on Devon's bench ends... puts them in historical context.

dsc00073.jpg

Top Bottom