Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
MBIFO the very old Chapelle of St Alexis at Rousset. Despite it being up a remote stone track well away from the more modern (16th century) settlement of Rousset, which has its own church, this tiny little gem is still well maintained, and I absolutely love its simplicity.

DSC08343.jpg

DSC08349.jpg

The church at Long Sutton in Somerset, one of two churches I’ve been best man in

The Church of the Holy Trinity in Long Sutton, Somerset, England dates from the 15th century and has been designated as a Grade I listed building. An earlier church would have stood on this site from the 9th century or earlier.

anyone know why when I change the size of an image, it turns it through 90 degrees?

From the same ride as above, the church at Huish Episcopi,

The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Huish Episcopi, Somerset, England has 12th-century origins, but was largely rebuilt in the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building. St Mary's Church also serves nearby Langport

Kept this one as the file size, hasn’t turned it 🤷‍♂️

Same day, different ride. This time cycling from Wearne to Cerne Abbas, of bloke with the fella out on the side of the hill fame

mulcheney Abbey, hopefully allows under the strict rules of the thread ^_^

Muchelney Abbey is an English Heritage property in the village of Muchelney in the Somerset Levels, England. The site consists of ruined walls showing the layout of the abbey

From the same ride as above, the church at Huish Episcopi,

The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Huish Episcopi, Somerset, England has 12th-century origins, but was largely rebuilt in the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building. St Mary's Church also serves nearby Langport

Kept this one as the file size, hasn’t turned it 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 541318
thanks for this - wiki* tells me that it also has a stained glass window by Burne-Jones. Tho maybe church closed at the moment.

* I went to wiki intrigued by that extraordinary place name - imagined it might be a test by locals to identify interlopers who would be burned in a haystack if they failed to pronounce it properly. Turns out it has a logical historical provenance.

thanks for this - wiki* tells me that it also has a stained glass window by Burne-Jones. Tho maybe church closed at the moment.

* I went to wiki intrigued by that extraordinary place name - imagined it might be a test by locals to identify interlopers who would be burned in a haystack if they failed to pronounce it properly. Turns out it has a logical historical provenance.

there are lots of different episcopi places in the area, gotta love the crazy bumpkins from that neck of the woods. It’s a great area, friendly people and great cycling

Yes, somerset tends to be a somewhat forgotten county I think - I did stray into it once on a car touring holiday - nice impressions - main things I remember are an ecclesiastical ruin of some sort (it must have been under English Heritage care) which for all I know may be on this thread, and, maybe just up the road, a lightning blasted tree.
I must get back there on the bike (along with a few places I whizzed through in a biggish car) - I like semi forgotten places - places hidden in plain sight while the hordes rush elsewhere.

The "Huish" bit is interesting as I went to Richard Huish 6th form College in Taunton. They had this picture of the founder in the library; sixth formers being sixth formers, it had an almost permanent handwritten caption underneath declaring him to be "Guy Fawkes"

Last edited:
Yes, somerset tends to be a somewhat forgotten county I think - I did stray into it once on a car touring holiday - nice impressions - main things I remember are an ecclesiastical ruin of some sort (it must have been under English Heritage care) which for all I know may be on this thread, and, maybe just up the road, a lightning blasted tree.
I must get back there on the bike (along with a few places I whizzed through in a biggish car) - I like semi forgotten places - places hidden in plain sight while the hordes rush elsewhere.

I’m fortunate that one of my best mates lives right in the middle near Langport so I can use his as a stop off or base for riding, it helps that I also got him into cycling

from the same ride as the Long Sutton church ride, I bought this cucumber from the front of someone’s house, 50p! That’s why I love cycling so much, driving would have missed that

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I’m fortunate that one of my best mates lives right in the middle near Langport so I can use his as a stop off or base for riding, it helps that I also got him into cycling

from the same ride as the Long Sutton church ride, I bought this cucumber from the front of someone’s house, 50p! That’s why I love cycling so much, driving would have missed that

View attachment 541441
Yes, several houses/ farms around here have little tables or hatches with veg / fruit/ eggs/ flowers/ plants for sale.
Totally agree - on the bike you're a lot less likely to miss these :smile:

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!

View attachment 541441

You should have carried it in your shorts :whistle:

Top Bottom