Your bike in front of a village sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
i think i know that place - can't be far from the wondrous Golding Hop - now closed I fear.
Is that a tea shop in Plaxtol? Had to Google it. Haven't been there, but have been to Plaxtol. Very nice rustic village. The route I take is normally southwards from Top of Exedown, thru ightham and Shipbourne, then turn right, heading for Ightham Mote and the cafe.

Keith

Is that a tea shop in Plaxtol? Had to Google it. Haven't been there, but have been to Plaxtol. Very nice rustic village. The route I take is normally southwards from Top of Exedown, thru ightham and Shipbourne, then turn right, heading for Ightham Mote and the cafe.

Keith
tea shop sharky? pah!

A wondrous pub I used to take folks to when I lead loads of rides - first time I took folks there it appeared in the dip out of the mist.
Famously grumpy but essentially nice landlord - I well remember his response to someone who dared ask for a cup of tea. He could also be sharp with anyone who dared add their food order to their beer - strict demarcation in force - he handled the beer and his wife the food. Food very keenly priced and good basic cycling fare - beer, well really the 7 per cent plus rawish cider, great. Two or three pints of that just what you needed for the onward climb. Every time I took folk there I told them to enjoy it for I feared it would close under 21st century economics and get turned into a house - I fear this eventually happened.
If not, get there soon - but if the landlord doesn't zap out and tell you not to lean your bikes against his pub wall it will have changed anyway.
Oh - and no water bottle refills - you were pointed at water pouring out of the nearby hillside.
I swear this was this century.

another memory - i seem to remember nattering to someone I met once about this place - he said a crowd of his had got complained at for drinking all the beer - they may even have been banned.

well *** me, just had a google - it seems as if the wondrous pub may have turned into a cake and tea house. And aimed at the quality end. Someone complaining about the napkins!
Oh the horror!
the google reviews seem to include some from going back to when it was a pub with the old landlord.
So sharky - you were probably right - it almost certainly is the same place.
But you've ruined my day - I will get some fresh air and mourn the Golding Hop of old (but not so long ago).
That vale (now of tears) will not be seeing me again.

theloafer

Legendary Member
thought i had posted this one ...always makes me smile when i am passing through ^_^

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Not a Skyscraper in sight:laugh:

50284562953_dc9f932af4_z.jpg

Top Bottom