Your bike in front of a Youth Hostel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Surely this must revive some happy memories?

I stayed in many in the 1980s, most of which no longer exist. If I had my time again I would photograph my bike in front of every one of them, but this may be all I have:

Stradreagh.JPG

Pictures without a bike in shot are perfectly admissible of course. I'm sure you travelled there by bike! Views of the inside, outside, or the view, they're all good.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The last time I stayed in a youth hostel was 30yrs ago (I'd rather camp) it was one of the 'iconic' ones though

yha-snowdon-ranger.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
Last time I went hosteling was late fifties early sixties.my favourites were Black Saill Hut and Honistor Hause in the Lakes

Houghton Mill was another favourite.

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I just rejoined the YHA after a gap of nearly 30 years, and have been very pleased with them, but saddened that there are now so few.
That's really good to know.

At the time I was a regular (1980s) I thought they were hitting a very sweet spot. There were enough that you normally had a choice of where to go next, many of the locations were memorable, you invariably came away with an experience of some sort! The cost seemed incredibly low.

Here's another, a view this time, from Ballygalley, Co Antrim:

BP23a.JPG

I still use them, although differently to how I used to use them. I've used Lochranza hostel as a base several times over the years. THis is actually my car, as was, in fornt of a hostel but the bikes were there too. In fact we'd done a mini tour across to Islay and stayed at Port Charlotte hostel before returning. Last time I was there was the summer before last, no bikes that time, instead I took the golf clubs and hacked my way around a few of the many golf courses.

cgShoOT21I94wSui_ikNQXWOsYcA4S5OoUA144seRcdowB9x842RRYjE4_-4lDXwoIZQPDJXZEqJfRDwxof3r6vOCvIRrXyQ.jpg

Many have now become independent hostels and it's as well to look them up. This is the Capel Curig independent hostel, once part of the now depleted network.

lbReEy9QT9QCEa61Lf602aPimJpSbm4VjRHd4DwbGNiAX1QFxoyd6vZRWL6nn25nWfpbYvkWNTt2-W7pN-1z-Rl0dDpySXrg.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I've stayed in many in the past few years, I haven't always photographed them, something I now regret
20869079468_8a96d8fc3b_o.jpg
21030748476_394df229a9_o.jpg
20434341714_6522c3149b_o.jpg

Trá na Rosann, my personal favourite and one which I re-visit every year, only about 35 miles away by the direct route but I'm still finding new ways of getting there. The building was originally designed as holiday home by Sir Edwin Lutyens for a rich London banker and is fascinating in itself. His widow signed it over to the An Óige in 1937 to be used as a youth hostel and it is supposed to be the second oldest one in Europe still operating. There is no nicer place IMO, you can forget the modern world and several stunning beaches within easy walking distance.
25874961211_ba3669c6d4_o.jpg

Finn McCool hostel at the Giant's Causeway, where I went on my first ever proper cycle tour.
15525807246_62ae76fa7b_o.jpg

Backpackers Hostel on Ballycastle sea front.
28181821824_c44168465a_o.jpg

Kilcommon Lodge, Ceann Iorrais, Co. Mayo. Beautiful place, supposedly the least populated part of Ireland.
28181849494_19f1e61fbb_o.jpg

Valley Hostel, Achill Island. Another building with a lot of history and character. I don't ever remember being so wet as I was on my arrival, standing on the wooden floor at reception whilst looking at the pool of water forming beneath me!

15265405622_862ea03fdd_o.jpg

Whitepark Bay in Co. Antrim. Great location, excellent facilities but but very formal and institutionalised

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I remember looking at the picture of Trá na Rosann in the An Óige handbook and thinking that I have to go there one day. The one time I was in the area, it didn't quite fit my schedule, and I thought I'd return many times. It's really good to see that it could still happen.

I've stayed at 24 Irish hostels (north and south) and only 4 of them seem to be still listed. Another extremely photogenic example was Mountain Lodge, Co Tipperary:

MtnLodge.JPG

My bike must be hiding. Once the warden's car had disappeared I was left alone in the forest, which was a bit spooky. Normally I rejoiced when I had exclusive use, but since I was hardly going to sustain the network on my own, perhaps I should have been more careful what I wished for.

Maybe the perfect scenario I was always hoping for was a full ladies' dormitory and an empty men's. The only time I remember anything like that happening was at Whitepark Bay (see previous post). If it was formal and institutionalised in those days (1985), I didn't notice. :smile:

Whitepark.JPG

tyred

Legendary Member
I remember looking at the picture of Trá na Rosann in the An Óige handbook and thinking that I have to go there one day. The one time I was in the area, it didn't quite fit my schedule, and I thought I'd return many times. It's really good to see that it could still happen.

It only opens from the last week in May through to the first week in September in recent years although do accept group bookings out of season. It's hard to know why they keep it open as there only seem to a few guests at any one time, mostly the same people who go back every year.

simongt

Guru
Problem with the YHA now is that in order to keep with the times, charges have ramped up so much that the GLW & I, both members for some years, have taken to staying in B & Bs simply because of the marginal difference in price and you get your own room ( the GLW doesn't like sharing dorms ) and usually private en-suite for very little extra, sometimes less. Also, a more recent problem is youngsters on the loose, without any noticeable parental control.

Top Bottom